CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2018, 11:31 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlee1972 View Post
If looking for some good beginner's basic reading for the world of CNC, might I recommend an online search along the lines of "CNC 101" or "CNC for beginners". I found several really good articles from many points of view when I was beginning to research the field. It was also a big help for terminology immersion, etc. I am sure you have been down this road by now but thought I would mention just in case....

Thanks Ron, thatís a good idea.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:18 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fuson View Post
Thanks Ron, thatís a good idea.
I may have overlooked it in someone's previous thread but I didn't see it posted so I am going to add it here.

Classes. Keep on the lookout for them. While there are a few here and there that would disagree I am sure, I simply do not see how you can get from A-Z, in regards to getting up and running asap AND EFFICIENTLY, simply being "self-taught" vs attending a few classes a year. I have only been to the CAmaster introductory class taught by Gary Campbell but it helped us jump ahead by leaps and bounds. I am expecting another such boost after the McGrew camp.
This is my thoughts......why would someone fork out (production machine) $35k-$70k for a machine but complain about a continuing ed class to improve the utilization of the machine? When you hear Gary mention the stats about all the shops he has been in and the low utilization numbers he sees, it will give you cause to pause. Or did me rather.

Didn't mean to ramble so but.....just my half a cent. When I grow up, maybe I will see it grow to 2 cents worth.....
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Life is too short and prone to quickly change to live otherwise.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:02 AM
CAMaster Owner

I agree Ron.
I downloaded the free trial of Vcarve Pro and have played with it for an hour or so and itís made me feel pretty dumb. Classes I think would be beneficial if not mandatory for someone like me. The thoughts of cnc is exciting but very intimidating for me right now.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:47 AM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
This is my thoughts......why would someone fork out (production machine) $35k-$70k for a machine but complain about a continuing ed class to improve the utilization of the machine?
This is even more common with $100K-$150K big iron machines. Bigger shop owners quite often don't want to pay for employee training, and rarely take advantage of what these machines are capable of.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints

Old 01-24-2018, 10:36 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fuson View Post
I agree Ron.
I downloaded the free trial of Vcarve Pro and have played with it for an hour or so and it’s made me feel pretty dumb. Classes I think would be beneficial if not mandatory for someone like me. The thoughts of cnc is exciting but very intimidating for me right now.
Mike, Vectric has a host of tutorial videos that are well worth your time to watch. You should have the files for the tutorials as part of the trial download so you can then duplicate what you leaned from watching. I've spent quite a bit of time doing this myself in the past few weeks and have learned a lot. The video tutorials don't necessarily take the place of actual classes, but they are a great start at this point in your CNC journey. "Seeing" is a really valuable thing!

I'm about to place my order for my machine and am already ready to start working out some initial designs/drawings/tool paths to use soon after the yellow beast arrives and is setup in my shop.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 01-24-2018, 11:25 PM
CAMaster Owner

Mike,
I say this with all due humility when speaking about something like this in the caliber of people there are in this forum in regards to knowledge and the ability to implement that talent. That said, here's where I am at 7 mos after being exactly where you were at. While I watched Aspire tutorials almost nightly 7 days a week from our date of order until our machines arrival, during which time I was working in Aspire as well as best as I could, I felt extremely intimidated as well as overwhelmed when our machine arrived. That feeling only intensified over the next week or so. Our first mistake was not scheduling the new machine orientation with Camaster tech support to coincide as closely as possible to our machine arrival. My 2nd mistake was pushing a lot of buttons that I really had no idea as to what they were for (might want to keep that in mind when asking me for help in the future, lol) before setting up my orientation. 70% of our "headaches" out the gate came from those two issues. As you and I discussed via email, continue using the Mick Martin approach and SEARCH, SEARCH, SEARCH the forum. There is soooooo much great information and you will find the vast majority of your fears, concerns, questions, and ideas have been had by most and addressed by many on here.
By the time our machine arrived, I had designed in Aspire our entire casket process minus the rounded lid. I was so proud of myself and when someone wasn't patting me on the back about it, I was. It was only a short time later that I discovered every file was basically useless! It was all to do over for many different reasons with most being my zero CNC experience. However, it was not wasted time. Those many files I wound up trashing got my feet wet and I was able to go thru and make the necessary changes much quicker than if I had done little to nothing. Truth is, while we have been running solid for several months now with our CNC fully integrated in the system, there are very few nights I am not sitting on the couch and making tweaks to toolpaths I have run that day. On complex sheet goods (30+ parts utilizing 5-6 different bits), I've seen our run time go from 40-45 min to 10-15min.
Once again, I have rambled on too long when I should step back and let the more knowledgeable speak but I know this and suspect the same about you after our several conversations. I am not interested in learning enough to perform sufficiently and efficiently. I desire to be great at it one day. Not for arrogance or personal recognition but because I want to help others make the transition that so many have helped and are still helping me make this very day.
All that to get to this.......what you are feeling and experiencing is called being "normal". The great thing is you won't be alone. When you purchase Camaster, you get great tech support guys and, myself excluded of course, great input from so many on the forum as well.
My apologies for being so long winded but I have been where you are and still find myself there at times. I just wanted to try to do for you what so many have done for me......reassure you and encourage you to keep pressing on. I have not regretted purchasing a CNC to this day and only wish I had went larger and with vacuum, lol.

Best wishes and happy cutting my friend. You are about to experience a whole new world!
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:33 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
This is even more common with $100K-$150K big iron machines. Bigger shop owners quite often don't want to pay for employee training, and rarely take advantage of what these machines are capable of.
It is not just limited to the CNC world. I have come into many mines across this country where the company was struggling to meet production. After an in depth analysis, I would often find ample room to improve heavy equipment operator efficiency. It never ceased to amaze me how a company would not balk at forking out $2Million for one piece of equipment but refuse to spend $5k-$7k on specialized operator training/trainers. This after you can easily show a ROI in less than one quarter. Go figure......
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:34 AM
CAMaster Owner

Ron, don't underestimate the value and wisdom of the advice you just gave in post #16. Sometimes, it's really good for "newbies" like Mike and I to hear from "recent newbies" just as much as it's important to delve deeply into the collective archive and current commentary from the true experts. Most folks tend to make "similar assumptions" and "similar missteps" early on in any complex process and hearing about it sooner, rather than later is very, very golden.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 01-25-2018, 11:12 AM
CAMaster Owner

Ron, thank you for sharing your real CNC life experiences. ours is setting in the shop not even assembled yet, but I am feeling the anxiety you mentioned.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:31 PM
CAMaster Owner

Mike (and anyone else new)...Vectric has a nice, concise "Intro to CNC" document that is a good "bathroom read" to cover basic concepts and terminology. It's only 43 pages and the glossary starts on page 25.

http://www.vectric.com/media/docs/su...ectric2013.pdf

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA