CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2018, 07:20 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Fusion 360

Help! This 3d software is a mind bender!
Pro @ cons of Fusion 360
Seems like Rhino is popular but a little pricey.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:30 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by browndawg View Post
Help! This 3d software is a mind bender!
Pro @ cons of Fusion 360
Seems like Rhino is popular but a little pricey.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I have had Aspire for approx. 13 mos now with it being fully integrated into our casket process. I have no regrets.
I have recently had a couple of clients mention I should look into Fusion360 so I sought out the advice of someone on this forum. Their advice, based upon far greater experience than my limited exposure, convinced me I made the correct choice the first time. Also, my experience with Autodesk in the mining field was less than satisfactory and I do not wish to have a repeat of that fiasco.

Just my bit n a half.
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Life is too short and prone to quickly change to live otherwise.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:00 AM
CAMhead Friend

I use Aspire, Rhino and Fusion360.

Initially I used only Rhino and Meshcam. Horrible for 2D and 2.5D work. We got a larger machine and Aspire with it. Perfect for that flat work. Tried Aspire for its 3D environment, and I just don't like it. I'm not talking about 3D in the sense of converting bitmaps to reliefs. I'm talking more along the lines of product modeling, which is what I'm doing.

Meshcam proved limited (limited path options, very inefficient), and the support is just not there, so I moved to Fusion 360 for CAM only using my Rhino models. Having learned on Rhino, it's just second nature to me now. F360 has quite the toolbox for paths. Really impressive. I'm blown away that I have access to this sort of capability for free (free if you make less than $100k and I'm in upstart mode).

Starting out now I'd probably start and hang with F360 for 3D work. Rhino lacks versioning and is not parametric. I would imagine learning F360 would help reduce the time becoming proficient in Autodesk's other packages.

One will excel at 2/2.5D while others will excel at 3D, but I've not seen anything that does both well.

Marc
Old 05-29-2018, 11:06 AM
CAMaster Owner

Are you planning to engineer complex mechanical designs? My understanding is that Fusion can do a lot of things Aspire can't, but if you just want to design a 3D part, it looks to me like Aspire is simpler.

If you want to design a battle bot, add components from standard specs, run a simulation of the parts moving all together, calculate the torque and stress and such, I know you could use Fusion. Not sure about Aspire.

I plan to start with VCarve Pro, but my son will need to use Fusion or Autocad for his robotics team. Those two can download a standard parts kit, allow them to design custom parts, and then run simulations of the standard and custom parts working together .

Marc, you posted while I was typing. Sounds like you would know.
Todd

Does anyone know if Aspire can do that?

Last edited by Todd W; 05-29-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:44 PM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd W View Post

Does anyone know if Aspire can do that?

No.
Aspire does 3D relief modeling, which is basically 1 side of a 3D model. (Although version 9 supports 2 sided models)

It doesn't support assemblies, or do any type of simulations.
And it's 3D models are actually pixel based, which are more like height mapped 3D.

Imo, it's not the right tool for any type of mechanical part. But you'll find plenty of people using it for that type of work.

There is no single CAD or CAM program that do everything well. Many of us use a variety of software tools, depending on the job.

I use AutoCAD, Fusion 360, Lightwave, MeshCAM, and Aspire. Which one depends on the job at hand.

And if you think learning Fusion 360 will give you a better understanding of AutoCAD, not a chance. They have nothing in common.

But knowing Fusion would help in understanding Inventor, or Solidworks. At least the parametric modeling portion of Fusion 360.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints

Old 05-29-2018, 03:36 PM
CAMaster Owner

Hi Gerry,
If the part about Fusion carrying over to AutoCad was to me, thanks. I didn't think they were the same to use, but my understanding is that both programs work with First Robotics and provide a set of the standard motors and gear assemblies in a parts package. I believe they also contain the competition field and such for modeling. I'm pretty sure my son has access to both, although last year, I think they designed their parts using autocad, not fusion. Of course they also made them on a ShopBot, not a CAMaster CNC

Last edited by Todd W; 05-29-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:02 PM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks everyone! My primary interest is stringed instruments and inlay.
Necks,Fingerboards, F5 Mandolins tops and backs,MOP and reconstone.
I find it most confusing trying to get the first purchase correct. Seems the machine is the easy part. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-29-2018, 09:03 PM
CAMaster Owner

Not sure but you may want to do some more research into what happens to your designs you've built on Fusion 360 (free version) if they suddenly decide to change to a prescription based service, etc. etc. Just a cautionary thought....
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Life is too short and prone to quickly change to live otherwise.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:51 PM
CAMaster Owner

There is still a ton of hand work on an instrument I imagine.

Fusion 360 is nice if you're going to build a parametric model, or many moving parts. Tons of youtube tutorials.

But if you are cutting shapes and sculpting tops and scrolls maybe scribing fret locations I think Aspire would be fine. Also tons of tutorials.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 05-29-2018, 10:17 PM
CAMhead Legend

Necks and carved tops are some of the most difficult things to model in a 3D cad program.

While you'll find quite a few guitar builders using Aspire, it wouldn't be my choice, or anyone with above average CAD skills.

I have a friend that has a business selling acoustic necks, bridges, and fretboards. He uses Solidworks, and has a fully parametric neck model.

Quote:
There is still a ton of hand work on an instrument I imagine.

If you know what you are doing, you can get nearly finished parts right off the machine.

Quote:
Not sure but you may want to do some more research into what happens to your designs you've built on Fusion 360 (free version) if they suddenly decide to change to a prescription based service, etc.

You can export your Fusion models any time you want, in a variety of formats. They aren't holding your data hostage.
And it's already a subscription based program. They just have a no charge subscription for hobbyists.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints