CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > Vectric - Aspire

Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Default An Indexing Question

Okay, well I'm planning on ordering a Recoil with my machine, which BTW, is one of the huge strengths of Camaster as I haven't seen any other machine out there that have solved the indexer integration as simply or easily.

I do have questions though, and it's got a lot to do with dealing with Aspire and their rotary tool paths.

Now, I understand that Aspire only wraps their models and then designs their tool paths accordingly. Now, where this becomes an issue is on say, square objects with relief designs on each face. I know you can do it, but the problem will arise when start machining towards the edges. As the part rotates toward 90* to machine towards the edge of the face, the angle of the bit would make it a real challenge to machine the relief.

Now, as I don't actually have a machine to play with... I imagine that you could (in the example of the square) program 4 individual tool paths and machine each side separately.

So, I guess my question is, with the recoil indexer on the Stinger can you do that? Does the gantry give you enough room to move the router over the usable WIDTH of the indexer? So that you can machine the face of a piece, use the indexer to rotate the piece 90* manually which should simplify the alignment of complex pieces, machine the next face... and so on.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

i am not sure, but i know it can be done to extend the gantry a bit if necessary to accomplish the width across the face, i can do it but i am unsure as to standard on the stinger, can it be done yes. the camaster is a universal machine.

as far as the work on the implementation of the rotary, thanks you are right!!

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM
CAMaster Owner

Like Jim said, make sure you get an extended X gantry if you want to be able to move along the X-axis on the rotary. We didn't realize this was an option or we would've ordered our machine with an extended X gantry. We're kicking ourselves now for not realizing this originally.

FWIW, we mostly use RhinoCAM for creating our toolpaths and it works really well. I don't know how indexing works with Aspire, but it's really easy to set up in Rhinocam.

-Justin