CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Cobra CNC Routers

Old 02-19-2019, 07:18 AM
Cobra Owner

Default Aluminum clamp on dust collection boot on Cobra - should it be insulated from frame?

I have been having some spurious VFD issues over last few months and am trying to isolate the culprit.

One possibility is static from the dust collector. I watched Gary's video on dust collection the other day and there was only one thing that might be an issue.

There is an aluminum clamp on my circa 2012 Cobra that holds the dustboot by clamping the PVC pipe - the video suggested that the dust collection duct should be isolated from the router frame with at least a 1/2 inch insulator.

I have the same DC grounding scheme recommended (internal bare wire and hose coil wire grounded at DC) except, the aluminum clamp electrically ties the PVC duct on dust boot to the router frame since there is no insulating standoff involved.

Has anyone tried replacing the aluminum clamp with a plastic standoff to help static issues?

Thanks,

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC_Ground.jpg (42.8 KB, 75 views)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:32 AM
CAMaster Owner

I would say yes. Because while my DC system was adequately grounded, I'd cut a hose holder out of HDPE. I had intermittent e-stop issues here and there. Since I replaced the plastic with a piece of plywood, I've had no issues. There are some pics of the plastic holder here: https://www.camheads.org/showthread....ht=hose+holder

I've since modified the design a bit, but the plywood version was created with two pieces of half inch Baltic Birch glued together. It looks very similar.
Aspire
Old 02-19-2019, 10:39 PM
CAMaster Owner

Router frame: I ran connections grounding the Z axis plates to the gantry and then down to the steel frame. As I saw it, the path for the electricity to get to the steel frame (ground) was through the ball screws. Considering they are attached to the motor, I opted to give them a better route. I don't have static issues, but my programs aren't very long. I also run a ground wire back up the DC hose.
>Pen Marking Tools
Old 02-20-2019, 06:34 AM
Cobra Owner

Thanks guys,

Looks like it may be worth the effort to try both suggestions.