CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Router Bits

Old 01-02-2019, 01:33 PM
Cobra Owner

Default Carbide insert grades - MDF versus General purpose

Hi,

I posted this over in the Vectric forum and thought I would see if anyone here could help enlighten me.

I'm in the process of buying more carbide bits and v-bit inserts and had a question about the two different insert knife grades that are offered.

One is MDF - obviously for use with MDF and the other is General Purpose Use - used on chipboard, balsa, hardwood and plastics.

I asked the vendor what would happen if I used MDF for general purpose use or general purpose use for MDF and got the answer "The difference is carbide hardness. If you use it on general purpose knives on MDF you will not get the same results, but they will work" - with no details on what "results" they are talking about.

I'm assuming that the MDF knives are the harder of the two to help tool life in abrasive material, but the question I have is why not use the harder knives for all purposes?

Are harder grades of carbide incapable of keeping a keen edge in less abrasive materials (non-MDF) resulting in less detail?

Just trying to determine if it is a marketing ploy to get you to buy two sets of inserts when one would probably do for both uses.

Has anyone actually compared the results on using the MDF grade for general purpose use or using general purpose grade for MDF use in terms of cut quality and tool life?

Thanks,

Terry
Old 01-02-2019, 02:25 PM
CAMaster Owner

If I'm not mistaken, the "harder" knives are "harder" to get as sharp as with "softer" edge material.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 01-02-2019, 03:11 PM
Cobra Owner

I finally called Amana and asked them directly.

The only difference is the hardness - There is no geometry differences, so if you don't mind paying a slight premium, buy the MDF inserts over the general purpose and you'll get the same quality cut with longer tool life.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 01-02-2019, 06:45 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks for the follow-up on that Terry. Good to know...as I need to buy more inserts for my 90 V-bit soon.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com