CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Items for sale or trade > Items Needed.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:47 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Looking for a power supply (Teknic EMF-75)

Hey all, I bought a used 2013 Cobra 510 and have been having a heck of a time just getting it running. Support has been super helpful, but it's been one issue after another.

The other day I finally got the machine going, but something was wrong with the x-axis limit stop switch and the machine crashed into the bracket that triggers the switch the first time I tried to initialize.

No big deal, I thought. Got a new switch and replaced it – but now the power supply is blowing the MDQ 5A fuses immediately on machine start.

Support recommended I just replace the power supply but since that is discontinued I'll need to wait 4 weeks for them to make a new one.

So I'm curious if anyone has an EMF-75 Teknic power supply.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:18 PM
CAMaster friend

Replace it with the appropriate number of IPC-5 power supply(s) The Teknic guys can help with that
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 04-23-2019, 04:31 PM
CAMaster Owner

Hi Gary, first thing I did was call Teknic but they were unwilling to sell me anything and said I had to go through CAMaster support.

I also specifically asked if there were any currently manufactured power supplies that could be used in place of the EMF-75 and they said none that they know of. I'm not sure what exactly and "IPC-5" power supply would do. Can you clarify?

2013 Cobra 510 w/ ATC
Old 04-23-2019, 05:45 PM
CAMaster friend

Teknic is correct, they always defer products sold by OEM's back to the OEM for replacement or repairs.

IPC-5 is one of Teknic's current power supplies. Depending on number and size of your drives, it could take 2 or 3 of them to replace "the old monster". I may have sold one of the last remaining ones a few months back.

The trick is to diagnose whether you have a bad drive that is blowing power supply fuses or simply a bad power supply.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 04-24-2019, 05:36 AM
CAMaster Owner

I purchased the power supply from Gary to replace mine which was doing the exact same thing.
Plans are to send the old blown supply back to Camaster to be "rebuilt" to have as a spare-just in case.
Almost have a replacement for each component now so hopefully no more long wait down time.

Good luck and please let us know if you end up with Garys recommendation as that may help others as well.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:47 AM
CAMaster Owner

So before ordering a new power supply, the electrician and I wanted to do some diagnosing to see what was causing the fuses to blow. We disconnected the power output (to isolate the drives) and it worked ok. Then isolated the transformer - that was fine. Finally we isolated the inputs to the board itself (on the power supply) and that seemed to trigger the issue.

Fortunately, he had a capacitor tester, so we pulled the board off the bracket and tested the caps. They all showed that they were shorted.

Not sure exactly what caused the issue in the first place but the solution seems to be a new power supply. Don't think I'm up to swapping out the caps myself.

@gary, I'd love to learn a little more about the IPC-5 solution if that's something that would reduce the 4 week lead time I can expect for them to custom build the old supply. I have 5 Teknic SSt-Eclipse drives (24-90VDC). One of those is for the lathe and isn't in use, but it might be good to have enough power for that in the future. Do you have any additional info on how to go about this idea?

@Doug, good call on getting your broken power supply repaired to have a backup. I think I'll do the same.

2013 Cobra 510 w/ ATC
Old 04-25-2019, 12:33 PM
CAMaster Owner

testing caps takes specialized skills and equipment. "all shorted" sounds very fishy to me (40+ years electronic technician). all cap styles cannot be tested with the same methods, they should be removed from the ckt board - at least one leg, and identified as to their type/construction. then tested accordingly.

this may all have been done, not sure, but i wanted you to know.

caps do go bad.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:29 PM
CAMaster Owner

Caps normally go to an open condition when they are bad. I fixed TV's back when you could change resistors and capacitors. Once in a while one will blow and the top splits open. A short would be RARE. As Tim said, the only way to test would be removing them from the circuit and having a Cap testing Meter. Mid grade Fluke meters normally have that function.
Added a Stinger 1 SR23
Semi-retired Cabinet Maker
SW side of Houston
Old 04-25-2019, 07:10 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks you both, that is super helpful. I just used a capacitor tester and hit the two points on the back of the board where the caps are connected. It read “SHRT” on all of them.

I totally understand that may not mean they are all bad - I just reached the limit of my ability on diagnosing the problem.

I went ahead and ordered a new power supply which will be here in four weeks, but would still love to hear any creative ideas for how to get this one running in the meantime.

2013 Cobra 510 w/ ATC