CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 04-06-2019, 01:41 PM
CAMaster Owner

By default the machines have a "lobound" setting in the "Soft Limits" section of the wincnc.ini file that limits the depth that can cut into the spoilboard to -.15". Tech support helped me change mine to -.65" so I could use the dowel alignment procedure for two sided projects.

Be advised: If you inadvertently alter the wincnc.ini file in a bad way it is possible to make the machine do very bad things. Make a backup copy first.

[***********Soft Limits*************]
lolim=x-.340 y-1.100 a-1000000
hilim=x33 y36.5 z0 a1000000
lobound=z-0.65
softlim=1
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 9.5

Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-06-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:14 PM
CAMaster Owner

I just cut a little shelf in the spoilboard, but I glue my spoilboard down also. I don't do a lot of flip ops, but I have done them with this simple method without issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0356.jpg (90.1 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Ken Rychlik; 04-06-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:01 PM
CAMaster Owner

I know that most cnc users are cabinet makers or sign makers that run mostly flat sheets. On the other hand, I am just the opposite. Most of my projects are 3D and a good number of those are two-sided. I have found that using the dowel method shown in the Vectric video works flawlessly on any shape. Even shapes that still have the natural tree bark on the edge. I may have to re-surface my spoilboard more often than most (I'm still pretty new at this so I've just done it once) but, that is what spoilboards are for. I'm retired so time means very little to me if the process works. For example, my current project is cutting spiraled pens on the recoil. The magnate pen bit will cut them in about five minutes but I would like the spiral to be a little less of an angle so I designed my own bit which means the project has to be cut as raster because the bit doesn't exist. That increased the cut time to about 1.5 hours using a 1/32" tbn with 8% step-over at 200 ipm. Yeah, I know it's overkill but I hate to sand. They came out almost glass smooth. Dimensions 2.1" height by .5625" diameter for slimline pen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spiral Pen.jpg (25.3 KB, 18 views)
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 9.5

Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-06-2019 at 10:21 PM.