CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > New Forum Members

Old 11-20-2020, 09:10 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Stinger I laser add on

Can u add a laser after purchase or is this something that needs to be done at time of purchase like the 4th axis??
Old 11-20-2020, 09:17 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

The Camaster laser option is only available for order on new machines coming from the factor. They do not sell it as an add-on. There are third party lasers you can add...and threads about it here at CamHeads.

One thing to keep in mind that both the Camaster option and the third party add on system are fine for casual engraving, etc., but they are not powerful enough to "cut" stuff the way that dedicated, more powerful lasers can. The lasers on a CNC machine also do not have dedicated/good fume extraction and the fumes from material burning can get pretty nasty sometimes, do keep that in mind relative to your shop environment.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 11-20-2020, 09:31 PM
CAMhead Friend

Thank you! I am only looking to engrave logos and such on cutting boards and other small projects. Would it be worth going with a glowforge or something in that realm over adding to my stinger?
Old 11-20-2020, 09:40 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

I personally bought a cheap Chinese laser to play with around engraving, etc., to test the waters but haven't actually used it yet. If I decided I wanted to do laser engraving more seriously, I'd probably go with a dedicated unit...one better than the "toy" I have ot play with...that also has proper ventilation and safety features. Low cost diode lasers work fine for marking things, but due to their nature, they offer more hazard to one's eyesight...you NEVER use them without proper eye protection, etc. The more expensive machines use different laser methods that while not risk-free, are easier to deal with around safety.

I'm not personally familiar with Glowforge, but I think there's a subscription involved with that particular brand. Be sure you understand the financial and contractual aspects of any tool/system you are interested in before you commit.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 11-20-2020, 10:04 PM
CAMhead Friend

Good points!

Thank you Jim for responding to this and giving me some insight on which direction Id like to go.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:45 PM
CAMaster Owner

After reading this thread (and others) I emailed Jay @ Jtech asking about the laser's ability to cut through metal rather than etching/engraving and he said the following:

"To cut through 1mm aluminum sheet you are going to need a very powerful laser. You won't find one you can upgrade onto your existing machine. Our lasers are mostly for engraving on wood and don't have enough power to do any real heavy duty cutting, especially metal. Most of the metal cutting lasers are going to run you about $70,000. Here are some examples:
https://www.bosslaser.com/metal-cutting-product/

We don't have "official" instructions on how to upgrade the Camaster as we offer them new and pre installed on new Camaster machines. It is a bit more difficult to put one on after the fact, but we can help if you still want to get one. It is not super hard. The biggest part is working with WinCNC folks and upgrading your computer and circuit boards to allow for the laser to work. There is some expense in this for the upgrade to consider as well. The spindle mounted bundle has all of the hardware you will need for the laser, but the control side needs to be upgraded as well from WinCNC."

My 2 cents: While it may be complicated to add on the Jtech spindle mounted laser option it's still something I'd prefer over having yet another machine taking up floor space AND (more importantly) having yet another software interface to learn...
ATC-10

Stinger I
HSD 1.7kw
KRS 20
Laser
FTC
Aspire9.5
Old 11-23-2020, 06:58 PM
CAMaster Cobra Owner (MOD, KOTR)

A dedicated laser machine is much faster than using a router with a laser head/attachment. Just my 2 cents worth. Plus you can work to different jobs at the same time.
Digitize Touch Probe
Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
Hurricane vacuum
WinCNC + Aspire 9.5 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
www.customarchitecturalsignage.com
www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!