CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Shop Talk

Old 01-26-2015, 09:51 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Here are some final pics, in teardown mode now and it will be all over for the year in about a week, until then some hard labor. Far more rushed and quicker tearing down than building, things that it has taken us days and weeks to construct come down within hours.

A humungous Thermwood 3D printer, definitely industrial and for sure out of our price ranges. It printed out numerous things during the show including chairs and a car - They left the car half roughed and half finished to illustrate the process. Was talking to the guys operating it, the said machine was based in Tennessee and is a prototype, only 1 in existence.
Finally a big old Michelin Man ,, I could see Mcgrew and maybe a select few others successfully tacking a project like that. I think mine would come out more like the Pillsbury dough boy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (93.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (90.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (93.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (94.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (89.8 KB, 82 views)

Stinger 1
Old 01-27-2015, 12:18 AM
Stinger I Owner

Cool pics Doug. I have been to a few of the big IMTS machine tool shows in Chicago and can appreciate the amount of work that goes into them.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
KRS USB Keypad
Mick Martin Table
Aspire 8.5, WinCNC
Chips-a-flyin’
brucep128@gmail.com
Old 01-27-2015, 08:44 AM
CAMhead Legend

Yeah really cool! Any idea how thick the layer slices were while they were printing? They look to be like .125" or so...Makes sense for the big parts.

-B
Old 01-27-2015, 09:01 AM
Stinger Owner

Doug,

Very interesting and fun to see! Thanks for sharing!

Mike
Sidewinder Back Knife Rotary
Epilog Legend
www.artcentergraphics.com
www.baconwood.com
Old 01-27-2015, 01:27 PM
CAMhead Guest

I know the group at Oak Ridge National Lab who worked with Local Motors to print the first car that was in the images. ORNL also printed a Shelby for this show. Pretty cool technology!

http://www.ornl.gov/ornl/news/news-r...roit-auto-show
Old 01-27-2015, 07:30 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Looked to me like about .25 layers but .125 possible, hard to gauge as I was distracted by babes walking around left and right. Sweet machine, they had about 8 printed chairs there and thought maybe they'd scrap them and leave em there, surprising what some of these outfits toss in the dumpster.
I would have picked one up but they packed them away on the machine, you can see them in a heap in one of the pics.

Stinger 1
Old 01-29-2015, 07:40 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

A few more pics, printer still here 4 days after the show, is about to be packed up and trucked away. Must be quite a project to move such a massive, complex machine 100's of miles.
Other pics show a tiny portion of the staggering waste of these shows, stacks and stacks of hardwood floor being ripped up and tossed away. Glad I'm not on the crew that does that, tough work ripping up those acres of floors, plus there are subfloors of 1" plywood underneath that and in some cases, elevated floors under that that need to be stacked up, banded then either shipped away or thrown in the dumpster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z.jpg (97.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg zz.jpg (86.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg zzz.jpg (94.3 KB, 44 views)

Stinger 1
Old 01-29-2015, 09:50 PM
Stinger I Owner

They should donate the usable materials to organizations like Habitat for Humanity. It's a shame to take it to a landfill.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
KRS USB Keypad
Mick Martin Table
Aspire 8.5, WinCNC
Chips-a-flyin’
brucep128@gmail.com
Old 01-31-2015, 12:10 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

A few final pics, shortly there will be nothing to see there, a large empty hall. View stretches pretty much as far as the eye can see, this view is probably about 50% of the entire area, you'd need panorama mode to get it all.
Displays go down amazingly quick compared to the time it takes to put them up, reminds me of a swarm of bees working on a hive.

1st pic taken from a lift gives an idea of the size of this place and the scope of the construction effort.
Then a couple pics of closer shots of the prints. Must take alot of finishing to get a final product, mostly wet sanding I imagine. I'm wondering what the cost ratio is for something like this vs a traditional method like vacuum forming or stamping, which generally pop out a part ready to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c.jpg (96.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg cc.jpg (95.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg ccc.jpg (89.2 KB, 74 views)

Stinger 1