CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Shop Talk

Old 05-18-2016, 12:06 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Default Remember to clean your computer

At least occasionally.
Probably been a good 2 years since I have. My computer and control box are in a semi enclosed area, so basically just so long as they turn on when I hit the switch, I tend not to think about them. I have a storage area behind them and today I went look to see what exactly is back there and I was taken aback how dust covered they both were ... So I figured it was time for a good blow.

Control box was first, it was pretty bad. Since I couldn't take it outside to blow [attached by umbilical cables as it is], I sucked out as much dust as I could with a little vac then blew it in place. Kicked up a horrendous cloud of dust, had to rush and turn on my fan and exhaust fans.
After doing that I taped up the cracks in the door to minimize dust intake.

Next was the computer, and if I thought the control box was bad, this thing was near terminal. It was caked with dust, looked to be mostly mdf. Come to think of it I don't think I have ever had the cover off this thing and have had it around 5 years.
Tough to see how it could even function without shorting with all that dust, that one at least I was able to disconnect and blow it off outside. Even my dog ran away from the resultant dust cloud, looked like something out of grapes of wrath.
Putting it back together I could see why it was so bad, never noticed but the side has 2 large ventilation holes, and neither one of them was covered with any dust foam like most of them are. So the dust had a back road into the control box, and a wide open freeway into the computer.

Think I'll see if I can get some of that foam/mesh and tape it over these openings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1431.jpg (46.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1432.jpg (46.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1433.JPG (92.2 KB, 128 views)

Stinger 1
Old 05-18-2016, 08:35 AM
Cobra Owner

Thanks for the reminder, Doug. I am just finishing up changing my dust collection ductwork from 4" to 6", so this will be a good time get everything right.
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 05-18-2016, 10:12 AM
CAMaster Owner

I just made the switch to an SSD drive. I used Macrium Reflect which is free software. I got a 250Gb Kingston drive for $90 and spent a morning doing the swap.. well worth the insurance. I left the old one in the box, so I can go back to it if the SSD fails.
>Pen Marking Tools
Old 05-18-2016, 11:40 AM
CAMhead Friend

When you blow out your computer and get to the fan. Use low pressure or hold the fan blades with your finger. High air pressure can spin them so fast. The bearings can get burned out.
20hp regen vac
laser pointer
V carve 8.0
Old 05-18-2016, 01:38 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

True Ed, I should have thought of that but didn't and it was whining like a turbine, hope I didn't fry them. I was so happy so see the dust go I was almost ecstatic.

Stinger 1
Old 05-18-2016, 02:12 PM
CAMaster Owner

Question Macrium Reflect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
I just made the switch to an SSD drive. I used Macrium Reflect which is free software. I got a 250Gb Kingston drive for $90 and spent a morning doing the swap.. well worth the insurance. I left the old one in the box, so I can go back to it if the SSD fails.
Did you have to reactivate Windows after you cloned it??
Performance Package Pro
Phenolic Table Top
Software - WinCNC
Design Software - CUT2D
Old 05-18-2016, 04:28 PM
CAMaster Owner

No sir! When you're done, you leave plugged in the one you want to boot from. So, if one dies, just plug the other in and resume from when you cloned it. So, now, all I need to do is backup working files occasionally and I'm covered. I can copy those back onto the older drive if I need to. This is really a great tool. It was like nothing happened when I booted off the new SSD. I'm going to do it to my design computer (already SSD) at some point because I'm worried reinstalling my design software will be a headache in that event (it's legal, just don't want to deal with the scenario of not being able to release from one to migrate to another)
>Pen Marking Tools
Old 05-18-2016, 04:34 PM
CAMaster Owner

Also a couple notes:

I tried easeus software first. It failed. I did this because it seemed to have the sector alignment of the SSD built in.

I'd gone by the how to geek article on wsapping in an hour which recommended Macrium Reflect (also free). When I used this software, it had a check box dealing with the sector alignment. I initially left it checked and the clone process seemed to hang. I bailed and tried again unchecked and it worked. I think it got hung up because I was downsizing the drive from 500 to 256. In all I tried 4 times. My advice is go with Macrium and hopefully it will go in one shot.
>Pen Marking Tools
Old 05-18-2016, 04:53 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Yeah, backup should be on my agenda. I backed it up once last year, so worse came to worse at least I'd have that but it would be far from current.

Stinger 1