CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Shop Talk

Old 03-21-2015, 05:03 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Default Sawstop finally has some competition

Or will have, coming Nov.
I will be interested, hopefully the price drops a bit below the $1,500 they are stating now.

The Bosch ReaXX Table Saw GTS1041A is an amazing new portable saw that offers a new safety system that snatches the blade away from your hand should you make accidental contact. How fast is it? It’s based on Bosch air bag technology (for which the company holds a ridiculous number of patents) and it literally uses air bag mechanisms to retract the blade at faster-than-lightning speed in the event of accidental contact with your finger(s). What makes this new table saw different from other competing table saw safety technologies is that it retracts the blade below the table and brakes it (note the spelling—it doesn’t “break” it) without destroying the blade. What’s more, you can reset the GTS1041A system after deployment in just under a minute!

http://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/...preview/14811/

Stinger 1
Old 03-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

In my world 1500 is a drop in the bucket in safe cost !! I got several of the large Saw Stops

Been worth every penny !!

I got a good friend who I hope will come by during the camp,, as he goes to shake your hand and you realize he has not one ! get him to tell the story of having to drag himself across the floor about 20 feet to get to his cell phone and call 911

It only took 7 hours between the pain and the passing out.

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 03-21-2015, 05:51 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Oh yeah, you are right Jim no doubt about it.
But people are bargain hunters by nature, no one thinks they are going to lose fingers and so probably won't factor that into purchases, especially for a smaller sized contractor saw.
Price listed now is MSRP, will be a very good thing if it drops for the street price. Less $$, more purchases simple as that.

I am a safety nut, I have spent more $$ for less, odds are I'll have one this time next year. I have a dewalt 10" contractor saw probably my most used tool.

Stinger 1
Old 03-21-2015, 06:54 PM
Stinger I Owner

There's a long thread about it over at the SMC forum. It's great that there's finally some competition to SawStop. I hope Bosch either builds or licenses the technology to a cabinet saw maker.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
KRS USB Keypad
Mick Martin Table
Aspire 8.5, WinCNC
Chips-a-flyin’
brucep128@gmail.com
Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Would probably be a matter of pure economics for panel saws, I would guess contractor saws outsell them by a very wide margin ,, And when its said and done, not many folks looking to spend $5k on a saw.
Then again, what do I know. Same concept could doubtless apply to any spinning metal tool.

Stinger 1
Old 03-22-2015, 10:43 AM
Camaster Owner

Funny or not so funny thing is , SawStop did try to license and market the technology to major manufacturers when it was first developed . After countless meetings with lawyers and corp. big-wigs it became a futile effort on their part from what I've read , that's where they went with their own saw . Now sometimes on late night TV you can see those ambulance chasing lawyer commercials and they are mentioning table saw accidents . I'm glad Bosch came out with a system , hope every manufacturer comes out with one

Stinger I
Performance Pkg
Slotted table
WINCNC
Aspire 8.505
Porter Cable 2.25
CAMaster Stand
KRS USB Keypad

I've got to many clamps , and sometimes they are not enough
Old 03-22-2015, 11:28 AM

I have been involved in some of this as a AWI member since the mid 90s,, Sawstop was never meant to be a product initialy. Stephen Gass was patent lawyer with a PHD in physics, he used this talent to create the technology, he showed Us this at the IWF in 2000. shortly after he offered this tech to the major machinery companies. he asked for No fee and a 3% royalty,, the industry fought like the dickens to stop this as retooling was not profitable,

Basically Ryobi screwed UP !

he then tried to get OSHA to implement it and again the Lobbiest Won (or lost depending on your finger)

this prompted him to create his own Saw machine company, he had no intention of doing this. soon after Saw stop started out selling all the others and delta is breathing fumes as a result (If they are even still in business) if you want to check this out try finding me an Arbor assembly for a left handed Uni-saw, Believe me they do not even make any more parts.

Well As Gass has Kicked their Ass and Ryobi lost its lawsuit and he then refused to sell them the tech he offered for FREE they are now fighting to keep this tech from becoming mandatory.

So if Bosch has gottewn off their Ass and doing it then Bravo for Us,, In the End this guy Gass has become everything a patriotic, Caring Entrepenuer should be !!!!

I have Met this Man several times, I own his saws, I have 8 Expensive cabinetmakers on Payroll and sleep far better at Night because of his diligence !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SawStop

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
Old 03-22-2015, 11:50 AM
CAMhead Legend

James, it seems you are friends with Gass, and I understand why you would write this comment. However, there is ample evidence that this account isn't exactly accurate. For one thing, Gass spent tens of thousands of dollars to lobby Congress to force this passive safety technology on every manufacturer "for safety sake". If Gass really cared about the safety of the public, he would have licensed the technology at a reasonable cost. At one point, I read a post from Shiraz Balolia (Grizzly CEO) on either SMC or Woodnet (can't remember which) in which he explained why he didn't accept the deal. According to him, there was more to the deal than what you are saying.
Wincnc
Vectric Vcarve Pro 8.5
Adobe Illustrator
Corel Graphic Suite X7
Sketchup
Old 03-22-2015, 12:14 PM

I think 3% was a fair offer, In my world paying WC is not the biggest problem. (We have had very few incidents) it is the cost rise if a hand or finger is lost. with participation many of the Cons could be eliminated, Opposition is still far larger in Greed here

Citing statistics that show accidents in the US with table and bench saws resulted in 3000 amputations annually of one or more fingers, SawStop's technology inspired Representative Kevin Joyce to propose the Illinois General Assembly's 2005 Electrical Saw Safety Act[7] The number of finger or hand amputations in the US has more recently been estimated to be 4000 annually,[8] costing more than $2 billion a year to treat victims.[1][9]

In June 2006, the CPSC recommended that the U.S. government begin the rulemaking process that could result in mandatory safety standards for table saws.

SawStop has provoked opposition from the Power Tool Institute (PTI),[8] which represents Black & Decker, Hilti, Hitachi Koki, Makita, Metabo, Bosch, Techtronic Industries and WMH Tool Group. In April 2008 they told Congress that SawStop's braking system is:[10]
dangerous because it requires the user to come in contact with the blade before activating;
unproven, particularly in terms of durability;
prone to false trips caused by commonly available wet and green wood;
potentially vulnerable to latent damage that cannot be inspected and may cause a hazard;
costly to the user because once activated, saw blade and cartridge must be replaced; and
significantly more expensive, ranging from a minimum of 25 percent and ranging upwards depending on saw type

The PTI objects to the licensing necessary due to the "more than 50 patents" related to SawStop's braking system;[10] such costs "would destroy the market for the cheapest, most popular saws, adding $100 or more to the price of consumer models that typically sell for less than $200."[8] In response, their members developed "new plastic guards to shield table saw users from the dangers of a spinning blade" and began selling models with that feature in 2007; as of May 2011, PTI says "its member companies have received no reports of injuries on [the 750,000] table saws with the new guard design."[9]

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
Old 03-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Camaster Owner

I am sure there are a lot of behind the scene goings on that we will never be aware of with those negotiations , what is in print seems to be a bottom dollar issue with most of the major manufacturers at that time . I would think it would have been easier and cheaper and less risky for Gass to license the device rather than start up a new saw company , so I think he did care enough to get the device out there . What gets me is how many years have gone by and now other companies are starting to come out with their own brand

Stinger I
Performance Pkg
Slotted table
WINCNC
Aspire 8.505
Porter Cable 2.25
CAMaster Stand
KRS USB Keypad

I've got to many clamps , and sometimes they are not enough