CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > Work we Produce !!!!

Old 10-19-2020, 05:05 PM
CAMaster Owner

I've cut the HD brand PVC and it does really good for me. How many flutes are on your Vbit and what were the specific feeds/speeds you tried?
5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
WinCNC
VcarvePro 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum
Old 10-20-2020, 11:28 AM
CAMaster Stinger II Owner

if you can go with a better grade of pvc like versatex or azek will be much better off. HD is probably carrying a chinese import which can be very sketchy especially with thickness tolerances. you can go on their websites and they will show distributors in your area.
Aspire 3.5
Halainc1@gmail.com
Old 10-22-2020, 06:22 PM
CAMhead Friend

I finished the second side of the sign today.

I have to be honest, I don't believe PVC will be my first choice of material. It just doesn't v-carve well, IMO. I had to run the toolpath a second time, just as on the first side. The second run seems to clean it up for the most part.

I don't know if a different brand would be better, and I'm not really convinced enough to spend the money to order some, plus paying shipping, just to find that it carves the same.

I have some samples of HDU on it's way, and I've been promised that it is far superior to PVC. There is even a distributor close enough to pick some up, if it does perform well.

I was asked for a pic after carving, so even though it's not the best pic, here it is before I mess it up with paint.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:24 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

HDU is really wonderful to cut...amazing stuff.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 10-23-2020, 09:53 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
I have to be honest, I don't believe PVC will be my first choice of material. It just doesn't v-carve well, IMO. I had to run the toolpath a second time, just as on the first side. The second run seems to clean it up for the most part.

I don't know if a different brand would be better, and I'm not really convinced enough to spend the money to order some, plus paying shipping, just to find that it carves the same.
Give us your Vbit specs and cut feeds/speeds. You may be doing something wrong. Don't discount the material until you find out how to cut it.
HDU cuts really well also, but there's good and bad applications for both HDU and PVC.
5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
WinCNC
VcarvePro 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum
Old 10-23-2020, 05:25 PM
Stinger II Owner

If you were using pointed bits, try one having a round or flat tip.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:31 PM
CAMhead Friend

I started the painting. I really hate painting, especially with a brush. I dislike the brush strokes that are left. I have a plan for the next one, if I ever do one, to make painting much quicker, and a better finish.

I like the colors, and the recipient helped pick the colors without even knowing they were. There will be another coat added, and some touch up work, and then to the second side.

Over all, minus the paint work, I'm mildly pleased. I still don't think PVC will be a go to choice, but I still have a sizable piece left. Maybe my opinion will change during using it.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:55 PM
CAMaster Owner

If you use that checkered texture, you'll not see all the different thicknesses of the paint. You should never use a flat bottom pocket on a sig, unless you're planning on adding glass smalts.
Otherwise, it looks pretty damn good.
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3

Last edited by T.R.MacMunn; 10-25-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:16 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.MacMunn View Post
If you use that checkered texture, you'll not see all the different thicknesses of the paint. You should never use a flat bottom pocket on a sig, unless you're planning on adding glass smalts.
Otherwise, it looks pretty damn good.

I really wish the texture would've cut correct. I don't think the finish will be visible once it's installed, without being right next to it. I'm going to reduce the paint for the final coat, in hopes that it will level out a little more before drying.