CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger I (Table Top)

Old 11-27-2019, 09:30 AM
Stinger Owner

I put mine on my front porch and enclosed it. Also added a pass-thru door in the wall so I can run any length I want...
The door to access the bed is spring loaded to slide up and down, balanced to stay in whatever position you desire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg binb3434.jpg (38.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg PassThrough.jpg (42.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg CNCAccess1.jpg (70.0 KB, 50 views)
Sidewinder Back Knife Rotary
Epilog Legend
www.artcentergraphics.com
www.baconwood.com
Old 11-27-2019, 11:22 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Imho

The enclosure looks very nice and well constructed but would just get in the way and make many operations more difficult. My dust collector does a great job of sucking up all the dust when using the table. The lathe is the worst offender like all lathes. It would make using the vacuum table much more difficult when cutting small pieces. I think it would make maintenance harder and the grease part may pickup more dirt due to the concentrated area. FWIW.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 11-27-2019, 08:40 PM
CAMaster Owner

Keith, I don't disagree with you relative to general use for the majority of us. Some environments...especially schools...almost make an enclosure non-optional, however, for both safety and noise control. I think that's the market that the OP is addressing with this.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 11-28-2019, 01:06 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Jarrard View Post
Here are some pics of an enclosure we do for machines going to schools.

You can see the side where the Recoil is opens up for ez loading as well as the front.

A personal hive for the little
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
Keith, I don't disagree with you relative to general use for the majority of us. Some environments...especially schools...almost make an enclosure non-optional, however, for both safety and noise control. I think that's the market that the OP is addressing with this.
Jim, good point. Since I am 70+ years old I can never get used to the new ideas. I took wood shop in fifth grade with work on lathes, saws etc. and we were taught good safety practices and the instructor watched us closely. I took machine shop in high school with metal lathes, forging etc. and safety was taught and managed. We were taught to watch each other as well for safety. Today they want to kid proof everything not teach or be vigilant. Just the ramblings of an old man.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 11-29-2019, 12:03 PM
CAMaster Owner

Learning safety is very important. Unfortunately, in today's litigious society, institutions have to take extra care beyond just instructional safety lessons.

But beyond that, there is a really practical reason for using these enclosures with small CNC machines in STEM programs and other vocational type training...noise abatement. We all know how loud things can get when a quarter inch end mill starts chomping away at a piece of wood, and with the "router" motors that are more typical in smaller CNCs, the noise level is compounded by the screaming "universal motor" that makes up the router. Since these environments support a variety of different kinds of (related) technology, keeping the noise from the CNC router down a bit helps with folks using the laser engravers, 3D printers, etc., in the same room while also permitting instruction since a lower level of personal hearing protection near the machine will suffice and folks a little farther away can hear instruction. Yes, the more traditional woodworking (and metalworking) tools can make big noise, but each incident tends to be more short-lived whereas a CNC can emit constantly for long periods of time.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com