CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > Work we Produce !!!!

Old 11-28-2019, 01:10 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Walters View Post
My buddy likes a team that is literally half way around the world. I made this for him for Christmas. Duna Corafoam 20 pound and max metal for the silver and blue inlays. Sherwin Williams latex black and white.
Bob, you are a great friend, excellent work!
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 11-29-2019, 11:43 AM
CAMhead Legend

Bob,

That's some awesome work. Could you possibly explain your methods to achieve something like this to us average mortals?

stinger III x3

vcarve pro
Old 11-29-2019, 10:39 PM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian O View Post
Bob,

That's some awesome work. Could you possibly explain your methods to achieve something like this to us average mortals?
So Iíve been experimenting with the max metal stuff, it cuts super easy even in one pass with a .0625 end mill at about 60ipm. Iíve been cutting a female inlay at .126 deep in the HDU and a small offset to get them to fit nice and tight. Iíve been using gorilla super glue gel (seems to be doing the trick, none of this is going outside). If anyone knows of a better adhesive for the metal and HDU bond Iíd love to hear it. Iím terrified of using the polyurethane gorilla glue, the last time I did, it blew out all sides of my inlay ruining the whole sign. T.R. Showed me the texturing tool path which is why the signs turn out so well, gives it a professional appearance.

2016 Stinger II SR-44
3.0 kW Spindle
Vectric VCarve Pro 10.xx

www.cool-signs.com
Old 11-30-2019, 07:24 AM
CAMaster Owner

Bob, although I rarely do inlays, when I do, & need to bond different materials, I just use a thin layer of silicone. I used GE brand for years, but can't find it any longer, & the brand that is generally available here is "DAP"

This will work outdoors as well. See the little gilded prisms in the corners of the "insert" signs? These companies regularly change their "look", so the signs have to be removable. These prisms are just stuck on there with silicone, & a wee tap with a hammer on a "paint stir-stick" removes them with no damage. The silicone basically rubs off with your thumb on both surfaces, so you can use the same prisms over & over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robinsonWA.jpg (97.3 KB, 41 views)
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 11-30-2019, 08:06 PM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.MacMunn View Post
Bob, although I rarely do inlays, when I do, & need to bond different materials, I just use a thin layer of silicone. I used GE brand for years, but can't find it any longer, & the brand that is generally available here is "DAP"

This will work outdoors as well. See the little gilded prisms in the corners of the "insert" signs? These companies regularly change their "look", so the signs have to be removable. These prisms are just stuck on there with silicone, & a wee tap with a hammer on a "paint stir-stick" removes them with no damage. The silicone basically rubs off with your thumb on both surfaces, so you can use the same prisms over & over.
Thatís awesome, I will be using this technique. Thanks you, you are a wealth of knowledge and a wonderful person for sharing it

Bob

2016 Stinger II SR-44
3.0 kW Spindle
Vectric VCarve Pro 10.xx

www.cool-signs.com
Old 12-02-2019, 11:57 AM
CAMaster Owner

I use E6000 for basically everything when I need to stick something to something else whether inside or outside. Stays a bit flexible for movement but grabs it like nobody's business. Stinks a bit for the first 24-48 hours but gases off.

If you make an exterior sign, offset your female pockets a bit to allow for expansion. It will squeeze the polymetal out if you get them too tight. Plus it leave a little "in shadow" line around it for a bit of an effect.
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 12-02-2019, 03:55 PM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
I use E6000 for basically everything when I need to stick something to something else whether inside or outside. Stays a bit flexible for movement but grabs it like nobody's business. Stinks a bit for the first 24-48 hours but gases off.

If you make an exterior sign, offset your female pockets a bit to allow for expansion. It will squeeze the polymetal out if you get them too tight. Plus it leave a little "in shadow" line around it for a bit of an effect.
Headed to Lowe's to pick some up now...thanks

2016 Stinger II SR-44
3.0 kW Spindle
Vectric VCarve Pro 10.xx

www.cool-signs.com
Old 12-02-2019, 04:52 PM
CAMaster Owner

Walmart sells it too.
Aspire