CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Elite Series

Old 08-08-2018, 09:28 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
Donít think Iíd want to be buried in a fish. Nice work though.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:47 PM
CAMaster Owner

The creativity of some folks never ceases to amaze me!
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
trommlerjg@gmail.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 08-08-2018, 11:28 PM
CAMaster Owner

Tristan, some very beautiful work indeed! The craftsmanship I see in those is remarkable. Most people never realize the amount of labor that goes into producing these things but I guess that can be said for most things in life. Thank you for sharing from your part of the world! When you get time, would you share what aspects of the production do you perform on your CNCs?
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Life is too short and prone to quickly change to live otherwise.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:02 AM
CAMaster Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Tristan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlee1972 View Post
Tristan, some very beautiful work indeed! The craftsmanship I see in those is remarkable. Most people never realize the amount of labor that goes into producing these things but I guess that can be said for most things in life.
Thanks for compliment, is always appreciated.
For sure, people do not appreciate the work that goes into it, and the scary thing is, they all expect the best, but will only pay very little "because it only gets buried anyway"...

CAMaster Cobra CR-609 ATC
2018 CAMaster Elite CR-609 ATC

WINCNC
Enroute 4 and Aspire v8 Design Software
AutoCAD, Autosketch, Sketchup

Razor CNC
Mach3
Aspire v8

"Sawdust means Work in Progress"
Old 08-13-2018, 04:36 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlee1972 View Post
... When you get time, would you share what aspects of the production do you perform on your CNCs?
We have 2 Camasters, and two point-to-point CNCs, and they are all very busy (considering the volumes that we produce). The Point-to-points do mostly cutting lids of Caskets, and drilling holes for the coffins, where the Camasters focus on the more accurate work that needs to be done.
We route out grooves (we call them panels) in the sides, around where the handles will be mounted later with a custom shape TOK (Throw away knife) knife (not sure what you guys call it). They are basically two blades that are fastened onto a block that is made for CNC's and hand held routers. I have attached a photo of the cutter. An entire board is routed with these, and from there the sheets go to the Beamsaw to be cut to size.

The other work that is done is cut with a 10mm Spiral Up/Down cutter or with a 12mm Profiled cutter, depending on what component it is. This is for the Coffin and Casket Lids, and various frames for the coffins and caskets.

Every now and then, I get to have some fun, and create a custom design, or cool carvings on the lid, or so, but that does not happen often.

We machine about 30-40 sheets of one design at a time, so very repetitive.

Then there are the scores of Jigs that I make on the Camasters for the entire factory. Locating jigs for assembly, or hold down jigs for bandsaws or spindles, jigs for the sewing department to make things easier and more accurate on where and how to cut the leather for Domes etc. The list of jigs goes on and on. These I cut mainly of 22mm Shutterply, some are done on 6,, MDF.

Then it also happens that I manufacture spare parts for the factory's machines/processes. I have cut many transport pads for edging machines from 50mm Teflon, and brackets and levers, of PVC or Teflon. Being out in the middle of almost nowhere, with not major Cities close by, I have to often make my own plans to get things running again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panels.jpg (97.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Panel Cutter.jpg (75.9 KB, 99 views)

WINCNC

Razor CNC
Mach3
Aspire v8

Last edited by Tristan; 08-13-2018 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:14 AM
CAMaster Owner

Insert cutters.

Nice work.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 08-13-2018, 07:17 PM
CAMaster Owner

Amazing! Thank you for sharing your process with us! I find it fascinating.
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Life is too short and prone to quickly change to live otherwise.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:37 PM
CAMhead Friend

Nice work Tristan. Could you share the finishing technique on the routed parts and edges of the MDF that is laminated? How do you get it that smooth and shiney?
Old 10-03-2018, 06:33 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
Nice work Tristan. Could you share the finishing technique on the routed parts and edges of the MDF that is laminated? How do you get it that smooth and shiney?
Thank you for the compliments.

As for the finishing process, after getting machined, they get lightly sanded to get the MDF "fur" off, and smooth. Then the exposed MDF gets sprayed with a sealer, and let to dry for a few hours. Then gets de-nibbed. This is still in component form.
Once the box is assembled, the entire box gets another sealer coat. Then a first coat of high gloss varnish. The unit then gets loaded onto a trolley, which goes through a drying tunnel. The drying tunnel is heated to 45 deg Celsius by means of a solar chamber above the tunnel (basically a tunnel above the drying tunnel, which is painted black on the inside, and the roof is of translucent Fiber Glass), This air is then circulated through the solar tunnel into the drying tunnel ,and back into the solar tunnel.
The unit is in the tunnel for approx 1 hour. I use a PLC and air cylinders to push the trolleys through the tunnel. When it comes out, it gets denibbed with a super fine sanding pad, and gets another coat of high gloss varnish, and goes through the tunnel again for an hour.
Then depending on the unit, it might get a third coat, which follows the same procedure as the second coat. The top of the range Domes get polished with a polisher, and normal floor polish after it has had its third coat of varnish.

Simple system, but works well. We have two of these drying tunnels, the one processes approx 120 units a day, the other 330 units a day.

WINCNC

Razor CNC
Mach3
Aspire v8

Old 10-03-2018, 09:56 AM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like you have a good working process going on and free heat using the sun.
Some of the panels I cut out of wood veneered MDF core needs a smooth shiny edge on it like the ones you produce. Most of the edges need to be black on the ones I make, which makes it a little harder. I'm just trying to streamline the process from any tips I can get. Not quite ready to build a full blown solar chamber though......... ;)
Keep up the good work.

Tags
elite