CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The CAMhead Locker Room! > Jim Becker

Old 09-23-2019, 10:04 PM
Cobra Owner

What can I say... That's splendiferous!

Thanks for taking the time to document the build with those great pictures - really appreciate it.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:17 PM
CAMaster Owner

With the shop changes completed, stuff put away and my remaining client work out the door, it was time to get back on this guitar build.

To start off, I cut the neck free and removed the tabs so I could test fit it to the body. This neck is also sapele with a little maple skunk stripe on the back. The fit is fine and I'm seriously considering making this a set neck so I can do some further sculpting on the back side of the heel/body for even better access to upper frets. I really do like the body shape and neck design together.

I will certainly think a little more about that. In the meantime, it was time to cut a fretboard. I scored a nice piece of east Indian Rosewood at Hearne a few weeks ago and I think that the darker fretboard will really look nice on this instrument. So I cut a hunk off and re-sawed and thicknessed two fretboard blanks and set things up on the CNC. The wood has a really spicy smell to it...quite interesting.

This rosewood species cuts really nicely and after a bit of time and a few tool changes, it actually looks like a fretboard. :)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 10-07-2019, 08:20 PM
CAMaster Owner

The surface off the machine is much nicer than the maple I've cut with the same file. Once it's sanded/scraped, it's going to positively glow

For those wondering...this is what the tiny cutter looks like that does the fret slots... .023", three flute running at 18K RPM, 20 ips, five passes per slot. This tooling is from PreciseBits (Tinker and Tinker) in Colorado.

Here's the fretboard with the edges cleaned and ready for assembling to the neck when I'm ready to do that task. It's cut slightly long at the headstock end so I can precisely trim it before blending into the sweep up from the headstock to the neck surface.

Yea, I like this. A lot.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
bvww.etsy.com
Old 10-08-2019, 08:48 AM
CAMaster Owner

Sweet, I like the contrasting woods. The grain pattern in that fretboard looks like it want to go into drop D already and make some bends. :D
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 10-08-2019, 09:16 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
Sweet, I like the contrasting woods. The grain pattern in that fretboard looks like it want to go into drop D already and make some bends. :D
If only I could actually play...I have rudimentary guitar skills, but my wrist surgery on the left side a couple of years ago makes it nearly impossible to to the deed outside of what I have to do for initial setup. I can't rotate it enough and the range of bend in my wrist is very limited. It is what it is.

That said, this is the "less nice" of the two fretboard slides I re-sawed from the board I mentioned, but since it was the first time I cut rosewood, I decided to use that one. I'm considering making some design changes to the back of the neck heel to better integrate as a set neck setup, so this neck may go on the other body (once I fix it...there was an accident yesterday and something heavy dropped on the burst thinline style body and made for some unfortunate damage) and I'll make another for this particular build. I want it to be be a little more refined than it is now so there is better "flow" between the neck and the body on the backside.

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
bvww.etsy.com
Old 10-09-2019, 08:46 AM
Stinger Owner

Jim,

Thanks for sharing the info - and anticipating my questions about the fret cutter before I even asked! 20ips? Can't wait to order a few of those and give it a try. Probably try something simple the first few times, like a Uke or CBG...
You have inspired me to try making my own necks!

Mike
Sidewinder Back Knife Rotary
Epilog Legend
www.artcentergraphics.com
www.baconwood.com
Old 10-09-2019, 11:14 AM
CAMaster Owner

Mike, I had a very nice conversation with Ron(?) at PreciseBits about speeds and feeds and we "did the math" while I was on the phone. It was his opinion that the cutter would work very nicely at 18K and 20+ ipm given I intended to do the 2mm depth in 5 passes. I was originally led to believe it had to be a LOT slower for such tiny cutters...not so as it turns out...at least when you have a machine that's not herky-jerky. :)

I bought two of the .023 cutters from them so I'd have a spare for "just in case" as well as "insurance" that the first one would be less likely to break...Murphy's Law being what it is an all that. If I only had one, I'd break it immediately. LOL

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
bvww.etsy.com
Old 10-09-2019, 12:29 PM
CAMaster Owner

looking nice Jim! can't tell from the pics, is the fret board curved?

thanks for documenting
Old 10-09-2019, 12:31 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
looking nice Jim! can't tell from the pics, is the fret board curved?
The fretboard has a 9.5" radius which was modeled in Aspire.

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
bvww.etsy.com
Old 10-10-2019, 10:33 AM
CAMaster Owner

Dang, Jim, that is one sweet looking guitar you are making. Well done!
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10