CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2021, 03:45 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Parametric Programing for camaster machine

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for CAM or post processor that could help me run my cnc parametrically.

Currently im using a stinger 2 to make hardware cuts on windows. The cuts are the same each time but the windows are a different size every job, meaning i need to jump into aspire and move the cuts around each time. I would like to get to a point where i can just tell the machine is window is 60 inches high and it will move the cuts to the right place.

Any suggestions on where to get started would be great.

I used to work at a factory, that made wood windows and doors, as a machine operator. It was a custom shop so every job was different. They were using a beisse rover and bsolid to make their system work. One issue I had with their system was that all of the parametric logic as part of the program that made it to the CNC, making it very slow. Often times i had to wait upwards of 5 minutes to load the program on the machine. Ideally i would like all the parametric calculations run on another computer and just just give the cnc operator a clean .tap file that can only be run one way.

I have never really messed around with gcode, and have always had CAM and the postprocess do everything for me. how difficult is it to generate a .tap file? If i learn gcode, can a write a java program to generate .tap files for me or is that crazy talk?

Look forward hearing your suggestions

Thanks for your time, and have a good day.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:33 PM
CAMaster Owner

I don't think it would be easy - it's possible to use some variables with gcode for WinCNC, and you'd have to hand edit multipliers for every cut when setting up the original file. Modifying it from a Vectric produced one.

Fusion 360 is parametric, and you could maybe do your design in that. And then find the post processor for it that's somewhere on this site and use that. I'd think that would be the easiest way to do it.

If there isn't another piece of software out there that does this, I guess it's possible a script could be written to generate the g-code, but I don't think that's trivial either. Unless they're all square cuts.
Aspire
Old 04-10-2021, 05:37 PM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

WinCNC has a parametric program called WinFence. It is not cheap, but it may be just what you need.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 04-10-2021, 06:51 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCtaco View Post
Hi all
Ideally i would like all the parametric calculations run on another computer and just just give the cnc operator a clean .tap file that can only be run one way.
I'm using Fusion 360 for my modeling and CAM. It's fully parametric, so if you've set the model up right you can do what you said above. 1) Update the appropriate parameter value. 2) Check the model, check the CAM make sure everything was hooked up correctly. 3) Run a CAM simulation to double check everything was hooked up correctly. 4) Out put a .tap, transfer it to your WinCNC machine and run.

- William
Old 04-11-2021, 05:35 PM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks for the help

looks like fusion 360 is just what I'm looking for.

winfence and winstairs look like cool and useful tools but I wasn't sure how modifiable it would be.

I'm currently using autocad for my shop drawings and that's 3x as expensive as fusion 360. Im going to be happy and feel awfully foolish if fusion 360 also works for my shop drawings.

Thanks again for suggestion everyone