CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > New Forum Members

Old 08-20-2018, 10:48 PM
CAMaster Owner

To be perfectly honest, Iíve never been happy with the bandsaw, and its cuts. I think it might be due to the rigidity of the frame. If I ever replace it, itíll be with something with at a motor thatís at least 3HP. I spent way too much money on trying to upgrade and fix it.

Cool news about Aspire. The $1300 to upgrade it is the same whether I get it with the machine, or pay Vectric directly for it later. But I can easily create parameterized 3-D models in Fusion. Iím running both Aspire and VCarve demos in a VM on my Mac. I took one of the legs Iíd designed in Fusion and did all the stuff in the video to generate cut paths. I did it with both pieces of software. I found I could save it as a Vectric design in VCarve Pro and loaded it into Aspire. And I could get the same 3D preview.

If I can easily create 3D models in Fusion, Iím not sure that Iíll really need Aspire. Weíll see. I have flattened pieces of a box model in Fusion, and created cut paths for dados, rabbets and the pieces with tabs. Took a bit of time to figure out, but itís not that hard. And when I downloaded the post processor for CAMaster from Autodesk, it had been updated in the last 30 days...
Aspire
Old 08-21-2018, 08:05 AM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
I've been looking into creating wrapped tool paths with fusion 360. I'm having some trouble with it, but I found a really easy way to do it exporting a Fusion 360 component as an STL and unwrapping it in VCarve. Easy-peasy.

Depending on the shape of the part, unwrapping does not always work well. You can sometimes get distortion in certain areas.

You might want to look at DeskProto for machining .stl files on a rotary axis.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints

Old 08-21-2018, 08:49 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
Depending on the shape of the part, unwrapping does not always work well. You can sometimes get distortion in certain areas.

You might want to look at DeskProto for machining .stl files on a rotary axis.
Just glanced at the docs. They do make it easy. Iíll keep playing with Fusion for now. And experiment with that and DeskProto when I get my machine.

BTW, I stumbled across JointCAM last weekend, and thatís probably something else that Iíll be getting too. Very impressive. Especially having to calculate the dovetail stuff. Iíve used a vertical jig with my Origin, and created box joints. Effectively for a box within a box. Quite finicky. Itís my current project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6E09D021-49F8-4A2B-BEF3-D3EA93A735CB.jpg (89.3 KB, 46 views)
Aspire
Old 08-21-2018, 11:11 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVE2000 View Post
I'm interested to see how much my router table with Incra fence doesn't get used.
I have a incra table with a lift, incra fence. Bought a shaper and a power feeder. That was the end of my router table use except for once in a while.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 08-21-2018, 11:44 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The real JP View Post
I have a incra table with a lift, incra fence. Bought a shaper and a power feeder. That was the end of my router table use except for once in a while.
I can see that. I guess the shaper has means to micro-adjust the tool height and fence?

BTW, for those that suggested the gantry lift, Iíve gone ahead and requested it. So thank you! If I have to take an extra pass or two, thatís not a big deal. They should be able to add it. The order was only posted yesterday, I think. I did get invited today to sign up for my VCarve Pro license. It just got real!
Aspire
Old 08-22-2018, 01:29 AM
CAMaster Owner

No fancy fence on the shaper. Just lots of power and fairly expensive insert cutters. It's way quieter than a router for sure. I think the power feeder is a must now.

Someday I'll get a computerized tilting shaper, but for now it's set up blocks and test cuts.

Make sure you watch a bunch of Vectric vids. There are tons of great ones out there.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik

Last edited by The real JP; 08-22-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:29 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVE2000 View Post
I did get invited today to sign up for my VCarve Pro license. It just got real!
I took "delivery" of my V-Carve Pro license 'early' myself so that I could be using the software in the environment I would be designing in from the get-go. (MacOS like you mentioned earlier with Parallels) Be aware that your rodent might be more sensitive than you prefer in the Vectric software in this setup than on a pure Windows machine, but I've gotten used to it.

The Vectric training videos on YouTube are really helpful...watch via the "Playlist" feature for V9 and things go from super simple at the start and add complexity with each subsequent video.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 08-22-2018, 12:13 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Hyperactive Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
(MacOS like you mentioned earlier with Parallels) Be aware that your rodent might be more sensitive than you prefer in the Vectric software in this setup than on a pure Windows machine, but I've gotten used to it.
So, it's not just me! The hyperactive rodent (trackpad) when using Aspire in Parallels on my Macbook is really, really painful. I've asked about this in the Vectric forum, but it's such an oddball question no one ever replied. Ugh. Anyone? Anyone? Ferris...?

In any case.... Vectric and CAMaster are wonderful. Enjoy the new tool!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:24 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.davison View Post
So, it's not just me! The hyperactive rodent (trackpad) when using Aspire in Parallels on my Macbook is really, really painful. I've asked about this in the Vectric forum, but it's such an oddball question no one ever replied. Ugh. Anyone? Anyone? Ferris...?
I use an Apple Trackpad (the newer one with haptic feedback) and BetterTouchTool for middle mouse button stuff (3 finger taps or clicks) but I decided to get a Logitech gaming mouse for doing CAD stuff. I find I kind of switch between both for the same program without thinking about it. The cursor is definitely more sensitive with VM's, but you can set mouse speeds in both operating systems independently of the trackpad speed.
Aspire
Old 08-22-2018, 03:49 PM
CAMaster Owner

Even if I switch to my Logitec rodent from the Magic Mouse, there still is a little more sensitivity than on the "control" PC in my shop, even after fiddling with adjustments. But I've adapted with no problem and rarely stray from the Magic Mouse. I've just learned to "automatically click" on the recenter button at the top of VCarve Pro when things suddenly "zoom" off into oblivion. LOL

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us