CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2020, 10:55 AM
CAMhead Legend

You need at least one dissenting point.....

I wrote this in 2006 and stand by it today in 2020. My PC delivered with the machine still boots in 30 seconds flat (I just measured it). No upgrades to anything.

From 2006 post:
I have seen this question come up before and have intentionally not responded because I did not want to get a bunch a flak.
So I think I may regret this...

What I'm going to say is not something I read somewhere else. I have been implementing control PC's (and PLC's) for 25 years on high speed production machinery.
Every single performance issue I have ever seen is because (in this order):
1) The PC was hooked to the Internet or an Intranet. "Things" such as patches, anti virus updates, viruses, cookies.... you name it, slowly load up the controller/ drive so that it is no longer high performance. Anyone that has bought a new PC and then noticed a slowdown a year or 2 later has experienced this.
2) Other software was loaded on the machine and run at the same time the control software was run. Processor now has to do double duty and performance suffers.

The PC that ships with your machine will run the machine flawlessly. The wincnc board in the PC is doing most of the work anyway. If you upgraded the PC and then just ran wincnc, you would not see any improvement.

I would consider that instead of upgrading the PC and trying to surf/ multitask, take the "upgrade" $ and put it toward a $600 notebook so you can design anywhere you go. That's what I do.

My machine is 3+ years old, never hooked to anything else other than usb memory to transfer tap files, no extra software installed, no anti-virus and it boots in 15 seconds and wincnc pops right up and runs as fast as it did on day 1.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:48 PM
CAMaster Owner

John, two years in and my WinCNC machine from Camaster boots in about 15-20 seconds to the Windows login screen. There's been no cluttering to-date with normal updating (manual, not automatic) that I've experienced. But to your point, the only third party applications on it are WinCNC and Aspire as well as Chrome which is my preferred browser. No email, no third party AV, etc. Transfering files via USB would require a very long walk in my case...and require using a special dongle to adapt USB-C to the older USB that is on the Windows box. OneDrive solved that problem for me.

I think the bottom line is to take great care with the WinCNC machine, whether that's having it disconnected or connected. It's good to have choices!

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 06-19-2020, 12:51 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

My Stinger PC is 24/7 and online for years. I upgraded the memory, removed the CD player and replaced with hard drive for backups. I have a USB external if I need one which I seldom do. I upgraded Windows 7 to 10. I use Norton 360 and Malwarebytes for security. I use Windows Outlook and Aspire 10 along with WinCNC of course. I cloned the original drive the day I turned on the computer so I have a new hard drive ready to go just in case.

I do not use a home network. I sneakernet if needed. All my machines are hard wired as are all my other devices except for my Wife's smart phone and a small tablet I keep near my TV chair for searches. I back up my back ups for safety to separate hard drives. Every six months I clone my C: drive to a flash drive on all machines. I have had minor issues and for the few major ones but I just recover back a few hours or a day. I do not use the cloud. It takes some time to be safe but it is worth it IMHO.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net

Last edited by keithrhyde; 06-19-2020 at 12:52 PM. Reason: add use
Old 06-19-2020, 02:22 PM
CAMaster Owner

I upgraded my machine to 8GB as well. The only app Iíve installed was gvim for editing.
Aspire