CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 07-13-2020, 10:18 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Production guys running vaccum in a climate controlled shop

As it gets closer for me to be full-time production mode in my shop (just bought/merged with a local plastics machining business), what is your solution for venting the heated exhaust air from the vacuum pump inside a climate controlled shop? Do you just vent the heat up and let it be? Do you vent it outside and pull your conditioned air out with it? Do you _____________?
Right now, my pump is inside my shop next to a rollup door which I roll up about 14" when I'm running it and channel the hot air hot out with pieces of plywood boxed in around the exhaust. Not efficient but helps somewhat.
5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
WinCNC
VcarvePro 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum
Old 07-13-2020, 11:42 AM
CAMaster Owner

Inquiring minds...

I am nearing the same dilemma in my new shop. My current plan was to dump conditioned air in my loud equipment closet, tempering the air before it leaves that room. My air conditioning will be over-sized to make up for this added heat load. I am thinking of several ideas to use the cold air to help the machines work better, like a wall mounted cooling coil for the compressor, prior to the refrigerated dryer.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:27 PM
CAMaster Owner

although i opted for the vacuum system, my production runs are currently small in size, so i screw/glue down. haven't reaached time to design a vac pod yet. our pump is in a small adjacent room, also air conditioned.

But, re: hvac and dust collectors - ours is totally recycled air. the dc system is located outside, so the suction line routes outside, then the return comes back in. our shop is about 25' x 75', i'd go broke otherwise! you just have to make sure the return is clean air...

Last edited by TimPa; 07-13-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:08 PM
CAMaster Owner

I'm finishing a new shop and will be moving in this weekend. I made a 10x10 room with 2x6 insulated walls to place my air compressor and vacuum. My CNC is directly on the other side of the wall. My shop is climate controlled but the room is not. It has an exhaust fan blowing the hot air to the outside.
I had this same setup in my previous shop and it worked well.

Stinger I
FTC & Laser
T-track
Kent Dust Shoe
Recoil

Stinger II 48x48
1.7Kw spindle
Kent dust shoe
Phenolic top with Hurricane vac & T-track
FTC & Laser

Aspire
WinCNC

Brandon Mississippi
Old 07-14-2020, 11:56 PM
CAMaster Owner

I vent everything inside and heat/cool the whole shop. Not a production environment.

My shop is well insulted and a 30,000 btu mini-split handles it. I don't see why this wouldn't work in a larger building as long as the building doesn't leak too much air and is insulted.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 07-15-2020, 04:20 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
As it gets closer for me to be full-time production mode in my shop (just bought/merged with a local plastics machining business), what is your solution for venting the heated exhaust air from the vacuum pump inside a climate controlled shop? Do you just vent the heat up and let it be? Do you vent it outside and pull your conditioned air out with it? Do you _____________?
Right now, my pump is inside my shop next to a rollup door which I roll up about 14" when I'm running it and channel the hot air hot out with pieces of plywood boxed in around the exhaust. Not efficient but helps somewhat.
The biggest disadvantage of venting outside is that it will pull unconditioned (and moist in the summer) air inside. By just venting inside it will require the AC to run more. The prior will result in a higher humidity but the later will reduce it. If the AC is not running, it is not pulling moisture out. With todays efficient systems, they don't really costs that much to run.
Aspire
Old 07-15-2020, 09:25 AM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks for the comments. I figured there was really no optimal way. I will probably just add on a stack to the pump exhaust and pipe it up to the ceiling and condition the entire shop.
My brother swaps out commercial rooftop A/C's and he brought me one a couple weeks ago that was on top of a Taco Bell, a 235,000 btu unit with one pump gone on it. It's 20+ years old and uses the old R-22 refrigerant so I'm kinda leery of installing that one for long term use. Plus it smells like tacos and makes me hungry every time I walk by it.
5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
WinCNC
VcarvePro 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum
Old 07-15-2020, 09:35 AM
CAMaster owner

You may have to just try it.

My shop in MI no AC just heat, I do vent outside all year around.

When I first started venting my dust collection outside I figured I would need to change back to inside venting during the winter. I even installed a valve so I could direct the exhaust outside or inside back through the filter. (dust collection is much more effective and no filters to clean venting outside) Figured I would loose to much heat in the winter, in reality the heat lose was not an issue. Have vented outside for the last couple of winters. My dust collection runs 4hrs or so a day. AC & humidity maybe a different story.

508 Cobra ATC 15 Tools
Old 07-15-2020, 11:43 AM
CAMaster Owner

just for reference - a 24' x 24' x 8' room is about 4600 cu ft. A 500 cu ft/min dc system can totally exchange the room air in 9.2 minutes...

other factors can come into play with air exchange, but it does make you think
Old 07-15-2020, 01:52 PM
CAMaster Owner

If your brother is an HVAC guy ask him about make up air systems. It basically conditions the air you are bringing in to replace what you vented out.

You still run a main hater or a/c unit, but the make up air..... uhm... makes up for the air you are venting out and keeps your building slightly positive pressure so dust and stuff doesn't leak in and you gas appliances exhaust makes it out.

Whatever you do, don't have a negative pressure building.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik