CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > CAMheads Show Room

Old 10-31-2016, 01:32 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfoley View Post
I've attached some pictures for your entertainment. In all seriousness, it was a fun project and is really not difficult.
Frank, Are the first and the third pictures the same piece? I see a bunch of bubbles in the first that don't show in the third.
I did a small inlay and tried using a heat gun to get the bubbles out. Didn't work. I'm interested in seeing how people are using the vacuum chamber and yours had a really nice result.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:30 PM
Camaster Owner

This looks great, really good details

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfoley View Post
After seeing all the nice inlay work Bob Walters was doing I decided to give it a try. It was an interesting project that I learned a lot with.

1. A little epoxy will go a long way or I just mixed up too much.
2. Epoxy curing in a plastic cup is not a good thing (see picture 2)
3. Even when you think you have all the bubble out there may still be some.

I've attached some pictures for your entertainment. In all seriousness, it was a fun project and is really not difficult.

Like Bob I used a vacuum chamber to help remove bubbles from the epoxy and then lightly sprayed denatured alcohol as bubbles appeared.

I do have a couple questions for you, Bob.

1. I mixed too much epoxy so I had two small cups. the one I used in the Superman was first put in a vacuum chamber. The extra in the other cup definitely cured faster than the one that was in the vacuum chamber. Is that normal?

2. What finish do you apply as a top coat? I'm concerned that having to sand to such a high grit 600-800 will cause adhesion problems.
Aspire 9, Photo w/Cut-3d, CPP
30W Fiber Laser
TDS Control Keypads - Inventor of the TDS/KRS Keypads
www.krscorporation.com for keypad support home
YouTube Videos
Old 10-31-2016, 04:22 PM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonM2 View Post
Frank, Are the first and the third pictures the same piece? I see a bunch of bubbles in the first that don't show in the third.
I did a small inlay and tried using a heat gun to get the bubbles out. Didn't work. I'm interested in seeing how people are using the vacuum chamber and yours had a really nice result.
Ken,

I have found with all the ones I have done the best method is to use the denatured alcohol with the plant mister. The vacuum is good to use but I am getting the same results with just the mister. Also found that putting on a thin coat of clear epoxy first and letting it set helps with the bubbles also. This seals the wood preventing the gas in the wood from creating bubbles. Just mist the epoxy quickly after you put the colored epoxy in and then mist it again after about 10 minutes. A good light angled across it helps a lot also. If you have any more questions or for that matter if anyone has any questions send me a pm and I'll give my phone number and I'll help you out.

Bob

2016 Stinger II SR-44
3.0 kW Spindle
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.xx

www.cool-signs.com
Old 10-31-2016, 10:46 PM
CAMaster Owner

Ken, yes the 1st and 3rd pictures are the same piece. The 1st is shortly after the pour and the 3rd is after it cured. As Bob has recommended I spay alcohol which helps out a lot. Additionally, I use heat. Now this here is probably going to get me in trouble but because I don't have a heat gun I use a regular torch. I just lightly pass it over the epoxy and the bubble all pop. I'm all most amazed at how little it takes for all the bubbles to pop. From a safety aspect I'm sure a heat gun would be the better choice.
Index Lathe
Performance kit, VCarve Pro 8.0
Old 10-31-2016, 11:28 PM
Stinger II Owner

My friend used a culinary torch. He swears by it. His work is beautiful too, like you guys have. I'll tell him about the alcohol.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:59 PM
CAMhead Friend

Bob, I've been fascinated by your inlay work and it's inspired me to want to try some myself. I did one small project and used a heat gun and it didn't work very well. I'll have to try the alcohol sprayer technique. I also have a little vacuum pump that I could pretty easily use to build a vacuum pot. I might give that a try too.

Frank, Cool project. As I said above, for me, the heat gun seemed to just cause more bubbles (or at least expose them), not remove them. I wonder if they're on the surface and not embedded in the body of the epoxy. The heat gun exposed the bubbles and then dried the epoxy around them. I did some very thin letters, and didn't build it up very thick. More trial and error ahead!