CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Items for sale or trade > Items Needed.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 PM
jknife

Talking Need knife handles made

Hello, my name is Curt. I live along the border of Wisconsin in north/central Illinois. I am a knife maker looking for a new person to take my knife handle materials such as g10, micartas, hardwoods, dymondwood,etc and produce for me a ready to bolt on set of grips. I usually have a surface texture such as honeycomb, frag, Dragon scale put on then the profile cut and radius around perimeter, then bolt holes with a shoulder. This would normally be done on batches of 25 to 200 knives per order. I would really like to connect with someone who is good with 3d design aspect to work together and create unique textures and also duplicate existing non protected ones. I have no problem working long distance with people as long as communication on a regular basis is possible.Just to be up front,I will be purchasing my own stinger at some point when sales are consistent enough to justify owning one to only cut knife handles with. That being said it could be 6 months or 6 years until I reach that point but I just wanted it known up front. Thank you

Last edited by jknife; 05-07-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: forgot location
Old 05-07-2014, 08:32 PM
CAMaster Owner

It might help if you would post your name and where you are located.

Mark
Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Camaster Owner

I'd also be interested
Old 05-08-2014, 12:42 AM
Camaster Owner

I might be have the time

Do you have any cad drawings?
Will you be paying for the time to come up with your design or do you expect the person to make it up in cutting time?
Are you expecting to acquire the designs when you get your machine?
Will you be providing the g-10, dymondwood, or Micartas substrate?

I'm pretty new at this but I know both Mark and Steve would do you right.

SR-44, 1.7KW SPINDLE with AIR ASSIST,
NEMA 34 MOTOR, DUAL RACK & PINION GANTRY DRIVES,
GANTRY LIFT, FTC, LASER.
AUTOCAD 2007-12, ASPIRE, CUT 3D, PHOTO CARVE

Advanced Fabrication Technologies, Inc.
SPRINGFIELD, MISSOURI

Last edited by Speedy; 05-08-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Stinger Owner

You've got my attention Curt! Let me know when you are ready. Don't forget that you can download the demo version of Aspire and at least get a feel for what it will take to make it happen on your end - and ours...

Mike
Sidewinder Back Knife Rotary
Epilog Legend
www.artcentergraphics.com
www.baconwood.com
Old 05-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Stinger Owner

Turning this around, I'd be very interested in really high quality knife blades that need a handle. Great gift for my sons.
Chapel Hill, NC
Old 05-08-2014, 06:51 PM
jknife

Hey guys, thanks for the responses! Just to answer a few of the questions I see such as,
Material supply- I am used to providing my own material. It would come to you cut to whatever size you need to run efficient batches depending on your table size.I will cover shipping of the cut handles from you back to me as well.

Texture Design- this is a bit of a grey area..if I come to you with a texture idea ,I will pay a reasonable fee to have it drawn. But the fact that I have paid for this service means it belongs to me and can only be used by me or under my written permission. So basically if I'm paying for it, it's mine. If I do some sort of generic texture or something you can pull off the internet for free or small fee, the fact that it is available publicly, or only requiring commercial licensing would leave the cutter service free to apply this as they wish. I do work for corporations and a lot of their work requires various branding methods using mostly trademarked company logo designs . If it's something that you already have done, your own or imported,I would still obviously pay for your time to take my 2d handle drawing and convert it to 3d and lay that texture over it. Some occasions where there isn't any surface texture I may make a handle set to exact specs and have it 3d scanned.

I have no issues working with guys who are still new with their machines..As long agreed turn around times and product quality is achieved. My business is newer and some of my best business relationships are the ones I started when we were in our first 6 months of operation.

I will send those interested a sample 2d handle drawing. Nothing fancy, the type of use for water jet but with side elevation to show the radius. This would be no texturing on this type. I will do all final sanding
Old 05-08-2014, 07:17 PM
CAMaster Owner

Sound good Curt. If you want to PM me or better yet send me an email at mdjrkj@cableone.net I would be interested in looking at what you need.

Mark
Old 05-11-2014, 12:40 AM
jknife

Default Handle PDF

Here's a PDF of a handle side. Assuming material is coming as 5/16". G10.
Pricing-
Please give me an idea of price broke down for the following
1. Cost (if you charge one) to take this simple 2d drawing and get it ready to cut

2.quantity, pricing difference(if any) at 25,50,100,200. That's sets, not individual pieces. 25 would actually be 25left,25right

I need to try to keep my costs simplified as much as possible so if possible I would eventually like pricing in categories
-Just the perimeter cut out with the bolt holes, no rounded radius,no textures
-perimeter,bolt holes, radius, no texture(like attached PDF)
-perimeter, bolt holes, radius, NO Texture, with company logo engraved on one side of handle only(say 1/2"tall x 2" long max)
-perimeter,bolt holes, radius, and textured

I am just looking for a more reliable service than the one I had been using. I have used 2 different services in the past. I know some of you are wondering how in the world to price something like this. The first company I found in an advertisement in blade magazine by a knife making supplier. I would send them a 2d set of elevations and they would convert it, lay one of their textures over it and cut my scales for $18 per set and they provided the 5/16" g10. They did great and I never had any issues but there was only one man who could run the haas cnc mill at their company and he retired. They haven't been able to fill the position with a competent operator since.
The second is a gentleman who I found watching YouTube videos. He has one of those build yourself a router machines. He has been getting through the work, but his machine bed is half the size of even a stinger 1 and his software isn't great . Result is it takes him a lot of time and effort to do things that should be fairly simple with the right gear. For bolt on ready textured handles He was charging me $7.50 a set and I provide all materials and shipping costs. I was not charged for any setup fees or drawing fees by either service prior , but I did pay a fee of $75 for a texture I sketched .
That's been my previous experiences anyhow.
Thanks guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.6 KB, 150 views)
Old 05-11-2014, 12:21 PM
CAMhead Friend

Hi Curt,
I live in south central WI, right across the Ill/WI border about 10 mins from Beloit, WI. Working with you to help design and produce these knife handles could be fun. I have the skills, equipment and time to work on your projects. Attached are pictures of a 3D and a textured knife handle I designed for you to see.

If you haven't found someone and are still interested, contact me.

David

608-354-8074
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3D Knife Handle.jpg (73.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Textured Knife Handle.jpg (60.8 KB, 104 views)

McPherson Custom Carving
d2mcpherson@msn.com

Last edited by David McPherson; 05-11-2014 at 12:32 PM.