CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Shop Talk

Old 11-17-2018, 06:50 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
Russell, my slider IS my table saw in every way imaginable. It replaced a cabinet saw a number of years ago and I haven't looked back.
It took me a little bit to get use to a slider and when I am forced to use the fence on the slider for narrow rips I'd still prefer a cabinet saw, but man there are some things on a slider that just bring a big smile to my face every time I use it.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:03 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Are you on a tight budget, or strapped for cash. And 2, in your shop space will you be tight on space?, most of us are.
Hey Eric thanks for your important questions:

I already own a slider so fortunately I wouldn't have to shell out for another. If I sold it and picked up a saw stop I'd have some extra money to buy some tooling and accessories for the CNC.

Realistically space is the biggest concern at this point. The shop is 30x 45 which seems enormous compared to my current 500 sq/ft shop now. But as I have been playing with layout, that space is quickly eaten away. I'm trying really hard not to overcrowd it like I alway tend to do and leave enough space to move materials around and actually assemble things.

Quote:
If you arenít worried about cash or space, itís a no brained to me, go with a slider. A slider will allow you to do anything. Trim 95 1/2Ē refrigerator ends, long counter tops, and anything large with ease and not doing anything stupid.

I use my big cnc for a lot of things but there are times when a saw is just the right answer.
These are the exact kinds of examples I really appreciate hearing about. I've gotten so use to banging those things out on a slider that I almost take it for granted.

Thanks again for the great response
Old 11-17-2018, 07:43 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by locaholic35 View Post
It took me a little bit to get use to a slider and when I am forced to use the fence on the slider for narrow rips I'd still prefer a cabinet saw, but man there are some things on a slider that just bring a big smile to my face every time I use it.
I actually find the high/low fence on my slider to be very well suited to narrow rips and have gotten used to the "alternative position" for my body...which is nicely out of the line of fire. I also use a Fritz and Franz jig for parallel ripping much of the time, including for narrow rips. I was so happy to get back to the high/low fence after suffering with the "tee square" type on the cabinet saw I owned previously. Prior to that, I had a nice UniFence on a contractor's style saw and it made me fall in love with that fence format.

I feel the same way about the Euro/bridge guard on my J/P...I despise "pork chop" type jointer guards, especially on wide jointers.

Yes, this is all "different strokes" and quite subjective...it's nice to have choices!

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 11-17-2018, 08:56 PM
CAMaster Owner

I downsized my table saw setup once I got my cnc running. Now I use it mainly for cutting small pieces and ripping solid wood. I have a power feeder mount on it.

I use it with a sled to croscut and trim door panels and such.

I make mostly cabinets and closets.

If I had a slider I probably wouldn't have bought a cnc.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 11-18-2018, 01:57 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
I actually find the high/low fence on my slider to be very well suited to narrow rips and have gotten used to the "alternative position" for my body...which is nicely out of the line of fire.
The low fence is a nifty trick for sure! I think a big part of my awkwardness with the rips is that I have a set of pneumatic clamps on my slider which make the ripping position a bit more unnatural.

Quote:
I also use a Fritz and Franz jig for parallel ripping much of the time, including for narrow rips.
I love the Fritz and Franz for cutting small parts and for securing a scrap piece behind the cut to prevent blow out. I haven't used it for rips though so I will have to give that a go!
Old 11-18-2018, 02:03 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The real JP View Post
I downsized my table saw setup once I got my cnc running. Now I use it mainly for cutting small pieces and ripping solid wood. I have a power feeder mount on it.

I use it with a sled to croscut and trim door panels and such.

I make mostly cabinets and closets.

If I had a slider I probably wouldn't have bought a cnc.

Thanks for the comments, and it is always encouraging to know how much other users are able to accomplish. I suppose the grass is always greener..... Since I have a slider I want a cnc and if the reverse were true I would want a slider. Maybe I should talk to a therapist haha
Old 11-18-2018, 10:58 AM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

I have two 10 foot heavy sliders, 3 unisaws, 2 saw stops, and a cobra, and sometimes i miss my 2nd cnc

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 11-18-2018, 11:39 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
I have two 10 foot heavy sliders, 3 unisaws, 2 saw stops, and a cobra, and sometimes i miss my 2nd cnc
Ahhh incredible James! You are at a different level that I could only dream of ever getting to.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:39 AM
CAMhead Legend

The shops I've worked at have had vertical panel saws, and multiple table saws.
The slider only gets used for crosscuts. All ripping is done on the table saws.

The Panel saw is mostly used when the CNC is busy cutting other work.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints

Old 11-18-2018, 01:28 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
Somehow, I don't think all that would fit in my sub-700 square foot shop. LOL

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com