CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Recoil Indexing Lathe (4th Axis)

Old 04-18-2016, 04:40 PM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

Mike...
Let me give you a suggestion. Start with the basics and gain proficiency before you attempt more complicated designs. The more complicated the piece, the more critical the basic components become as you attempt to combine and overlay them.

This is a common mistake new CNC users make. It is akin to believing you can handle a college level trig class before you have completed high school algebra. The basics are needed as building blocks to the advanced.

Teaser: To show that it's true, I'll show you that you don't need any of the gadgets for rotary toolpath creation, in fact you don't even require the rotary wrapped setup to cut most anything. And what is most prolific in the video, replacing 3D cutting with 2D profile cutting.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 04-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Cobra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
Mike...
Let me give you a suggestion. Start with the basics and gain proficiency before you attempt more complicated designs. The more complicated the piece, the more critical the basic components become as you attempt to combine and overlay them.

This is a common mistake new CNC users make. It is akin to believing you can handle a college level trig class before you have completed high school algebra. The basics are needed as building blocks to the advanced.

Teaser: To show that it's true, I'll show you that you don't need any of the gadgets for rotary toolpath creation, in fact you don't even require the rotary wrapped setup to cut most anything. And what is most prolific in the video, replacing 3D cutting with 2D profile cutting.
This is probably the most important technique you can teach ANYONE using a CNC machine, not just a rotary axis!!!!
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 04-18-2016, 08:19 PM
CAMaster Owner

Oh, man, Gary, that's like tossing a steak in front of a junk yard dog. ;-) Trig, algebra....

Ok, I have a start on that leg, created solely with Aspire. I need to dig out my dovetail bits and add at least one to the tool database. The 3D finishing pass is with a 1/4 BN, which leaves the leaf details rather bland (Rest Machining perhaps?) No legs yet. No top yet. But it's a start. No more time for this today, but I'm (hopefully) attaching the file.
Attached Files
File Type: crv3d 3 legged table.crv3d (7.12 MB, 21 views)
Old 04-04-2020, 08:02 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford View Post
Haven't seen that video before. Looks to me like it was hand coded.

If anyone wants to cut a continuous spiral rounding toolpath like what he was using, just bring the bit to the desired start position and type in:

G02 A11520 Y4

This will cut 4" along the Y axis, taking 1/8" cut.

He had several tool changes, and expensive tools (some pretty specific plunge profile bits).
Russell, I think the G02 is a typo. It should probably be G1, right? (I stumbled across this while using google to search for Gary's post about quickly zeroing the A-Axis without having to reverse it - L28.1) G2 is a clockwise arc, and G02 isn't in the manual.
Aspire

Last edited by DVE2000; 04-04-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:00 AM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

Gary...
Yes, most likely a typo. G2 = G02, G1 = G01, etc. Da "OH" be silent

L28.1 does not in any way "zero" the rotary axis, or change its position. It removes the wraps.

Here is a link to the lesson with an annotated file and video: https://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=7358
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 04-05-2020, 01:38 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks, Gary! I appreciate it. Yeah, I realized it doesn’t zero after playing with it. It just gets you between 0 and 360 degrees.

That lesson is going to be VERY useful.
Aspire