CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > Work we Produce !!!!

Old 11-12-2018, 03:31 PM
CAMaster Owner

I'm using PVA so far. The biggest challenge with the glue-up is the clamping setup, but for the production run, that will be the client's work outside of my test pieces. For a one-off, it's no big deal with waiting overnight in clamps or under hold-fasts, but for a dozen...it would require a bigger effort.

Honestly, if I were doing these myself I'd serious consider an epoxy inlay, but the end-client wants the marquetry look of a wood inlay and she's apparently willing to pay for it.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 11-12-2018, 03:51 PM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
but the end-client wants the marquetry look of a wood inlay and she's apparently willing to pay for it.
DING DING DING!!!! That's what I'm talking about!
Old 11-12-2018, 04:39 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
DING DING DING!!!! That's what I'm talking about!
Yea, but the current wait on the project is to see if the lady promptly pays her bill to my client for something he's already made for her. :) She's apparently a bit eccentric. LOL

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 11-12-2018, 05:31 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
I'm using PVA so far. The biggest challenge with the glue-up is the clamping setup, but for the production run, that will be the client's work outside of my test pieces. For a one-off, it's no big deal with waiting overnight in clamps or under hold-fasts, but for a dozen...it would require a bigger effort.

Honestly, if I were doing these myself I'd serious consider an epoxy inlay, but the end-client wants the marquetry look of a wood inlay and she's apparently willing to pay for it.
I was referring to using epoxy adhesive instead of wood glue for near instant set of male/female blanks, but yeah epoxy inlays are sweet, a few guys really got the system down including some here.

Stinger 1
Old 11-12-2018, 06:05 PM
CAMaster Owner

Oh, I understood you, Doug. Sorry if it sounded like I didn't. My mention of epoxy inlay was a subject switch. LOL I was shop cleaning today, so probably had dust on the brain.

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
Old 11-12-2018, 06:20 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

I am dubious of the epoxy glueup anyhow, I just cannot believe that it soaks in the wood fiber and bonds anywhere near the strength of dedicated wood glue. Probably a tradeoff, much less time for much less strength.

Stinger 1
Old 11-12-2018, 07:12 PM
CAMaster Owner

I have used 2p10 superglue and the accelerator for vcarve inlays.

Between epoxy and wood glue, both are stronger than the wood.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 11-12-2018, 08:42 PM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
I am dubious of the epoxy glueup anyhow, I just cannot believe that it soaks in the wood fiber and bonds anywhere near the strength of dedicated wood glue. Probably a tradeoff, much less time for much less strength.

High quality epoxy is typically not fast curing. Unless you use the cheap 5 minute stuff. Even with a fast hardener, Epoxy like West Systems can take well over an hour (or several) to cure, depending on temperature.
There are many types of fillers available to make it thicker.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints

Old 11-12-2018, 09:08 PM
CAMaster Owner, (MOD, KOTR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
High quality epoxy is typically not fast curing. Unless you use the cheap 5 minute stuff. Even with a fast hardener, Epoxy like West Systems can take well over an hour (or several) to cure, depending on temperature.
There are many types of fillers available to make it thicker.
The longer the curing time the stronger the molecular chain...I use a glue created for glass that take 7 days to cure....the epoxy is stronger then the glass.
Michael

3-D Modeling
https://carveddetails.com

mm@mezalick.com
Old 11-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Cobra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
I've done many inlays, and I stopped using epoxy the first time I tried it. Mainly because it changes the colour around the edges of the inlay, so it really accentuates any little errors and actually makes a dark line around your inlay which makes look like a bad fit even if its perfect.

My favourite glue is actually from Lee Valley, their 2002 GF. It does a great job and doesn't show on the edges of the inlay. I've had luck with various Tightbond and other PVA glues as well, but the filler in the 2002GF glue just seems to give the best results for me.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com