CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > CAMaster Owners Only > Owners Setup and FAQ > New owner Setup issues > Camaster Stinger Machines

Old 02-04-2016, 04:05 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Emergency Stop Switch Issue, Stinger II

I mentioned this in another post but wanted to leave a thread here in case others run in to the same type of issue and are searching for a solution. Net is, a loose wire on the emergency stop switch was causing problems during head moves. I was seeing intermittent cases while the router was moving where movement would stop quickly sometimes while moving quite fast, not a good sound!

Sometimes, the WinCNC display would continue to change although the router was no longer moving. While trouble shooting with another forum member on the phone, I had a failure where the message was to reset the emergency switch. The switch was in the outward position and I could still jog the router manually which indicated that the condition from the switch wasn't still there. I powered down the router and found the loose wire, tightened and all has been well since.

One other things I saw was that I didn't see the issue when manually jogging the router in any direction- it only happened when being driven by a button from WinCNC or trying to run a file. My guess is that since jog movements are only in one direction at a time so I didn't cause enough vibration- frankly, this thing moves so fast at times I'm a bit intimidated- I had a Shark machine prior and it's quite different!

I had seen threads where a loose wire like this was mentioned but until the message that called out the switch, I wasn't making the jump that this could be the problem.

As FYI, I also found that if I plug the main power connector in to a 20A 110v GFCI outlet, the breaker would trip upon power up. I don't have a spindle so main power is 110V and the actual router was plugged in to a separate circuit. I hadn't finished my dedicated circuit when I tried this. I moved to another circuit with a GFCI and it did the same thing? I'm now on a dedicated circuit so not an issue but odd. I was hoping when I found the loose wire on the emergency switch, that might have come in to play but no change in how it worked on the GFCI circuit once the wire was tightened.

Thanks to the folks that helped me troubleshoot.

Stinger II SR-44
Recoil, FTC, Laser, Raised Gantry, 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle, AD VFD, T-Track Top, Hand Held Controller, Counter Balance

Aspire 9.5
Photocarve
Old 02-04-2016, 04:10 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Dave...
Just like most equipment, your CNC machine should have a dedicated circuit. And when equipped with a router a second.

You should NEVER try to operate on a GFCI protected circuit.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 02-04-2016, 07:11 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Actually, and Dave please correct me if I am wrong, but weren't the loose wires on the Z axis Drive? Not that it makes a big difference, but if there were loose wires on the estop the controller would not output code.
GCnC411@gmail.com

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 02-04-2016, 10:05 PM
CAMaster Owner

The loose wire was connected directly to the emergency stop switch. I believe it was in contact most of the time but during movement, would break contact?

Stinger II SR-44
Recoil, FTC, Laser, Raised Gantry, 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle, AD VFD, T-Track Top, Hand Held Controller, Counter Balance

Aspire 9.5
Photocarve
Old 02-04-2016, 10:18 PM
CAMaster owner

I'm going to have to check mine, I've been having emergency stop issues on and off since I got it a few weeks ago. I just got to the point of expecting it and leaning over to the computer and hitting the "restart" command.

2016 Stinger II SR-44
Fast Tool Change
Laser Cross Hair
3.0 kW Spindle
1200 oz Digital Stepper Drive System
Remote Handheld Keypad
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.0

www.cool-signs.com
Old 02-04-2016, 10:19 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Sorry Dave...
I must have got a couple threads twisted up
GCnC411@gmail.com

Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 PM
Stinger II Owner

Adding to Dave comments. As we worked through it together. The major clue in troubleshooting was that the e-Stop error on the screen would allow the machine to move after it happened. The machine had been moving doing an air cut as if it was the spoil board and then abruptly stop. E-stop error. However, it would move without touching the switch using the keyboard. So, it had to be some sort of non-mechanical problem. It sounded like just the machine switching directions was enough to shake the wire slightly looser than it was normally. Rewarding to find the issue and especially that it was easy.

A good lesson for all of us is that upon receipt, all large machinery should have connections checked after shipping. Roads are bumpy and stuff happens.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:39 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw69215 View Post
I'm going to have to check mine, I've been having emergency stop issues on and off since I got it a few weeks ago. I just got to the point of expecting it and leaning over to the computer and hitting the "restart" command.
Hopefully you'll find a loose wire! Gary, no issue on the thread mix up, appreciate your help and comments.

Stinger II SR-44

Aspire 9.5
Photocarve
Old 02-17-2016, 08:29 AM
CAMaster Owner

Bob, did you sort out your issue with the emergency stop switch? I've had no issues since I tightened the wire on mine.

Charlie L, good point about the arrival inspection, I had done a quick check but missed this wire. Thanks again for reaching out to help.

Stinger II SR-44

Aspire 9.5
Photocarve
Old 02-17-2016, 09:59 AM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemartin88 View Post
Bob, did you sort out your issue with the emergency stop switch? I've had no issues since I tightened the wire on mine.

Charlie L, good point about the arrival inspection, I had done a quick check but missed this wire. Thanks again for reaching out to help.
It still does it about every 3rd or 4th program I run. I am going out there now and see if I can track it down again.

2016 Stinger II SR-44
Fast Tool Change
Laser Cross Hair
3.0 kW Spindle
1200 oz Digital Stepper Drive System
Remote Handheld Keypad
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.0

www.cool-signs.com