CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 02:59 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Vacuum placement

I'm looking at attaching (finally) a Black Box Cyclone vacuum and was wondering if it would be feasible to place the vacuum about 50' away from the CNC machine. I've placed the dust collector and air compressor out in the garage rather than my new basement shop, but am not sure about the vacuum.

The Cyclone has 3 1.5" ports. So.... run 3 1.5" lines, run 1 3" line or put the vacuum right under the Stinger? I'm inclined to run a single 3" pipe, but....

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2017, 03:12 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Mike...
It is my opinion that 50' is too far to go as you will have a serious hit on performance. If you do decide to proceed, 1 3" line will be better and remember an elbow is equivalent to ~8' of pipe when it comes to restriction.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 11-14-2017, 03:29 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks Gary. There would need to be a few elbows so it sounds best to keep the vacuum close the machine.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:41 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

Mike, not sure if this helps you but I put my vacuum outside. I ran 2in sched 40 pvc ~24 ft with 4 elbows and one long sweep. I have a Storm and it does fine even with small parts. I used rubber connectors at the machine so I could disconnect if I needed to move it.

Of course I have to block around the smaller parts. The vacuum will hold the dust down in the cuts and even my 3hp Oneida DC with the Kent boot cannot pull the dust completely out of a cut like engraving.

My spoilboard is Trupan 3/4 ULDF with sealed edges and flycut. My DC is loud enough and it is lower pitch but that Storm is like a jet engine.

I keep thinking about putting the DC outside and take the hit on heat and A/C. Are you just going to take the hit on heat and ac or do you have a better solution. I have sound mitigation blankets around my DC and it knocks it down 12db but it is still at 72db so I wear ear protection.

You are going to have the same resistance and static pressure issues with your DC as well, are you not? Let us know how it all works when you get done please.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 11-14-2017, 07:22 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Dust Collection too

Keith,

On the DC, I decided to take a chance on heat/AC loss. The shop is in a basement and has no direct heat/AC, but has remained comfortable while the outdoor temperature has ranged from 90+ to 20-. Seems safe to assume some passive/leaked heat/AC from the living space is helping to keep the basement comfy. The DC arrangement has only been in place for about 2 months, but has run for more than an hour twice with no noticeable temperature change. Not a rigorous test, but so far, so good. I suspect that the thermal mass of the concrete walls and floor provide temperature stability even with the DC outside the shop space. If it proves to be a problem I'll vent the DC output back into the shop.

On a semi-related note, I changed from HVAC ducting to Norfab ducting for the DC when I setup this shop. The difference is amazing! I've not measured the air movement with this setup, but the difference is obvious.

Thanks for the interesting data point on the CNC vacuum. I was just looking at my shop design and realized I could place the CNC machine much closer to the garage and thus keep the vacuum run to about 20'. Might try it. Would have to change the DC ducting layout and some wiring so it's a lot of work to change, but I'm in kind of geeking out on shop design right now so this would be the time to do it (before sanity returns).
Old 11-14-2017, 07:39 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithrhyde View Post
... not sure if this helps you but I put my vacuum outside.
Keith,
You mention 'outside'. Is your box inside a shed like a lean-to on the side of the garage/house?
Also, can the BB/Storm be mounted vertically instead of horiz?

Ronnie
Old 11-15-2017, 10:16 AM
CAMaster Owner

we are planning a similar situation - placing a Hurricane in an adjacent room. a 3" dia trunk will handle up to four 1.5" lines.

you get conflicting comments on a remote placement of the vac unit. I think it is imperative that the entire run has complete integrity - no leaks whatsoever. let us know how your works out!
Old 11-15-2017, 10:29 AM
CAMaster Owner

Ronnie, I have a walkout basement to a patio that is under a deck with a roof so I have it mounted off the deck joists. I attached pictures albeit they are right after I setup my machine before the Kent boot etc. Basically the setup is the same. You can see my PVC and if you notice I installed a vacuum gauge where I could see it otherwise I would have to go outside to look and that gauge is on the back side near the on/off switch which is hard to see without a mirror.

I don't know of any reason why you cannot install vertically other than the exhaust comes out the bottom. I use a wireless remote switch which is inside the shop to turn on and off. All my 220/110 is in the ceiling and I use SJOOW extension cords to plug machines in which gives me the flexibility to move machines for long pieces of wood etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3349.jpg (90.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3346.jpg (94.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 11-15-2017, 01:47 PM
CAMaster Owner

Ronnie, so as not to confuse, the exhaust comes out the bottom when mounted horizontally so if vertical it will come out the side.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:59 PM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks Keith,
Yes I recall your setup from a while back ago.
Ok, so it should be good since yours is exposed
to outside whereas mine would be enclosed but
not insulated.

Also, that second picture looks like a piano setup
the way your chair is on left.

R