CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > New Forum Members

Old 04-15-2018, 07:13 PM
CAMhead Guest

Default Short Bio & a few Questions

I ran a ShopBot (self taught) at a business I worked for 10 years ago. I fell in love with CNC routing. My main use of the machine would be hobby use. I am planning on buying a cnc router. I have looked at many on the internet and CAMaster name keeps popping up. If I buy a CAMaster I would be buying a Stinger 1 with a router. I have a few questions.

First, are there any axis that use a belt to drive it? If no, then what kind of drive do they use? Rack and pinion? Ball and screw?

How user friendly is the WinCNC software?

Is there some type of CAD-CAM software included with the machine? Is it upgradable?

Is the machine ready to run right out of the box or do I have to do some assembly? If there is assembly to be done what does it entail?

What are the power requirements? Would there be a need for a 220Vac circuit?

If I need tech support what hours are they available?

If something breaks and needs replacing, do you carry replacement parts?

What is the actual weight of the machine?

What is the physical dimensions of the Stinger 1?

Can I pick it up at the factory?

I read some places that routers are not capable of running for extended periods of time. If this is true, then why would they put a router on these machines? How difficult would it be to change to a spindle at a later date? Is this something I could do or would it require something that the manufacturer would have to do?
Old 04-15-2018, 08:12 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenlalford View Post
First, are there any axis that use a belt to drive it? If no, then what kind of drive do they use? Rack and pinion? Ball and screw?
No belts...

Quote:
How user friendly is the WinCNC software?
Very powerful and very friendly.
Quote:
Is there some type of CAD-CAM software included with the machine? Is it upgradable?
Vectric Cut 2D is standard with the Stinger I and you can upgrade at any time to Cut 3D, VCarve Pro or Aspire.
Quote:
Is the machine ready to run right out of the box or do I have to do some assembly? If there is assembly to be done what does it entail?
The machine is turn key and fully tested at the factory before being released to the customer. You need to supply a sturdy table for it if you do not buy the optional metal stand
Quote:
What are the power requirements? Would there be a need for a 220Vac circuit?
120v 20 amps. 240v isn't required unless you buy a spindle of 1.7kw or greater
Quote:
If I need tech support what hours are they available?
Normal business hours presumed plus there's a ton of support here
Quote:

If something breaks and needs replacing, do you carry replacement parts?
They do.
Quote:

What is the actual weight of the machine?

What is the physical dimensions of the Stinger 1?
These specifications are on the Camaster web site including a layout that shows all dimensions

http://www.camaster.com/cnc-routers/stinger-i/

Quote:
Can I pick it up at the factory?
Yes, you can pick it up and that saves you the shipping/crating cost.
Quote:

I read some places that routers are not capable of running for extended periods of time. If this is true, then why would they put a router on these machines? How difficult would it be to change to a spindle at a later date? Is this something I could do or would it require something that the manufacturer would have to do?
The routers are pretty capable machines and likely will handle whatever most hobbyists would throw at the machine, IMHO. However, like most motors of their ilk...they do have a lifetime and do require maintenance for the brushes, etc., as time passes. Changing to a spindle is physically possible later...consultation with the factory or with an independent resource like Gary Campbell would be what you'd want to do. You might want to consider the spindle up-front if you feel you'll want that someday and gain the benefits now...including the reduced sound levels.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 04-15-2018, 09:03 PM
CAMhead Guest

Thanks for all the info. That helps a lot.