CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Recoil Indexing Lathe (4th Axis)

Old 02-01-2017, 05:36 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Recoil Index - Metal lathe chuck

Hi there guys
Got an email from Cathy saying, "Your machine is complete and ready for shipment". Yay!!
It's a Stinger III with almost every option available for it. It will be at my door in a month or so.

Now I'm trying to decide which chuck I should buy for the rotary indexer. I've read a lot of stuff about the chucks people are using on this forum but I haven't found a thing about a metal lathe chucks.

I own a small metal lathe and an extra chuck (100mm) that I'm not using. If I make a backplate for the chuck do you see or know of anything that could go wrong with using it?? I've been thinking if it's to heavy because all the wood chucks seems to be a little lighter (not as bulky).

There is one thing I don't like on the wood chucks and that is how you tighten them. It's either two pins that you rotate in separate direction or a "drill like" chuck key. The metal lathes have a square chuck key that I really like.

The bottom line: Is it ok to put a metal lathe chuck (100mm) on the rotary or is to heavy for it?

Sorry for my bad english... I'm from Iceland so it's not my native langue.

Options and upgrades:
3.0KW HSD spindle, FTC, Laser Cross Hair, Counter Balance, Digitizing Probe, Remote Handheld Keypad, Indexing Lathe and a 6" gantry overtravel.

Software:
Vectric VCarve and Fusion 360.

kristjan@krossdal.is
www.krossdal.com
Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 AM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Kristjan...
Welcome.

I have used both types on 4th axis projects.

The first, thinking like you as I own a metal lathe, used a metal lathe headstock and chuck: Video here https://youtu.be/VrHzP4FWOSc

A few projects later I used a wood lathe chuck, mostly because it threaded right on to the 1"-8tpi threads of the Jet Lathe. Video here: https://youtu.be/e9xkut4bm90 Until I go used to it, I did not like the two rotating pins to adjust the chuck.

I cant make the decision for you but can tell you this:
The wood versions are plug and play
It doesn't take long to get used to the dual handles
The wood chuck is much more versatile in mounting options
The metal chuck will tighten more, but deforms material more also
If I had to do multiple batches, I would use a drive spur or mandrel

I cant say it will be, but weight CAN be a limiting factor that requires reduction in rotation speeds and acceleration, but a 4" version should be fine, if you have a concentric adapter made.

Your English is fine, better than mine most days
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 02-01-2017, 10:03 AM
CAMaster Owner

I use a Nova chuck on mine, it works just fine.

Kipp
Recoil
Aspire 9
Old 02-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Cobra Owner

My philosophy is, if I already have a chuck that might work, I will use that first and if I find problems with it I will spend the money to buy a different chuck.

Really, as long as you can hold your workpiece firmly in place, that is all that matters. I suspect any chuck would work. You will not be turning at high speeds, and pretty much any chuck will be stronger than the stepper motor rotating it.

Your english is very good! I would LOVE to visit Iceland and do some backpacking and trail running!
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 02-03-2017, 05:30 AM
CAMaster Owner

Thank you for your answers.

I think I'll start with my metal lathe chuck, only because I own it and as you say it's not to heavy. I'll probably buy a wood chuck later.

Gary - I love your youtube channel.. I've watched every clip on it. :)

rcrawford - You should definitely take a tour around Iceland, it's beautiful here. But at the moment it's a little expensive for tourists.

Offtopic: Who do I need to contact to get access to the owners section?

Options and upgrades:
3.0KW HSD spindle, FTC, Laser Cross Hair, Counter Balance, Digitizing Probe, Remote Handheld Keypad, Indexing Lathe and a 6" gantry overtravel.

Software:
Vectric VCarve and Fusion 360.

kristjan@krossdal.is
www.krossdal.com