CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Recoil Indexing Lathe (4th Axis)

Old 02-19-2018, 08:16 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default What keeps you from using your recoil/rotary/4th axis?

I have a similar thread on the Vectric forum, but I wanted to post here in just to get better coverage.

I'm putting together some training material on wrapped rotary machining. I'd like to hear from those of you who are curious about rotary axis, but haven't really done anything with it. I'm focusing on the basics, Gary will handle the advanced stuff.

If you do have one, have you done anything with it yet? (Mine sat under the CNC table for 2-3 years before I did anything with it)
If not, why?
If yes, what problems did you encounter?

For those with an unused rotary...
Do you have to swap a controller and/or a motor in order to use it?
Does it sit in/on the bed of the table or off to the side? i.e. do you have to set up/tear down something to use it, or can you quickly switch between table work and rotary work?
Have you ever hooked it up, and can you turn it with the control software?

What are the very basic questions you wish someone would address regarding rotary?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:21 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Randall is speaking on rotary use at Aspire camp. looking forward to seeing him again !

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 02-19-2018, 09:49 PM
CAMaster Owner

What are the very basic questions you wish someone would address regarding rotary?[/QUOTE]
When I first received my Panther, I had not scheduled the orientation due to some being out for a long July 4th vacation. I went to pushing buttons, etc after watching a couple of Mick Martin videos. After a few close calls, 1-2 near disasters and new dented aluminum dust boot, I decided to focus all of my intention on getting familiar with PROPERLY operating the CNC spindle on the table and only the table. It has taken approx. 6-7 mos to fully integrate the CNC into every aspect of our process thus I have intentionally ignored the attachment on the side......out of new found wisdom/respect of a learning curve and the desire to not repeat prior stupid mistakes.

If yes, what problems did you encounter?

Rotary 101
Step 1)?
Step 2)?
Step 3)?

Not trying to be a smart butt in that response but I have intentionally ignored the rotary due to comments I have read about it being a steep curve and I have just really begun to feel proficient and efficient on the CNC table. I have not watched the first video on rotary since receiving our Panther last late June. I was going to reach out to Gary Campbell 2nd qtr this year about training (so busy with rush orders right now no time to take in new curves). That's when I saw the post from McGrew about the coming camp in April. In short, I am too ignorant on rotary to really know what questions to pose.
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Life is too short and prone to quickly change to live otherwise.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:40 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

I was anxious to use my rotary as I am with any new tool. I started teaching myself and watching videos then I heard about Gary's course on the recoil. He was a great help and after that I more confident. The most complex item I have done is a barley twist for a table as in the picture. Notice if you look past the table to the machine you can see my attempt with cardboard to contain the chips and dust. It helps but it is a pain to setup.

As with all lathes it makes a terrible mess even with my dust boot parallel to the lathe. It puts a lot of dust in the shop which I don't get on the table top. The lathe works well for complicated turns and repeat ability but for simple turns I can do it faster on my regular lathe. I have to move whatever I turn to my standard lathe to sand anyway.

For me it was a steeper learning curve than the table and when you set your Z0 for the lathe you DO NOT want to forget to reset when you go back to the table. Don't ask me how I know.

Another issue is for the complicated turns you have to buy expensive bits from Magnate and they don't seem to have any competition. I have purchase many of them and the cost for me it insignificant but for other maybe not so much. In hindsight I think I would rather have a stand alone sidewinder like Gary sold. Those are my thoughts FWIW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3707.jpg (48.0 KB, 48 views)
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net

Last edited by Mick Martin; 02-21-2018 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Rotated picture
Old 02-20-2018, 10:23 AM
CAMaster Owner

Hmmm..... Well, I actually learned to use the rotary axis so can't answer the "what's holding you back" question directly. However, I'm fairly new to all this so perhaps offering a bit of "What I found difficult" might help.

Visualization: I'm using Aspire and while the Vectric tools rock they are a bit of an approximation of what the finished product will look like and how the machining will actually progress. So... helping folks understand how to visualize what will happen is a good start-up ingredient.

Understanding machine limits/capabilities: Gary's Rotary 101 class is solid here. It's daunting for a CNC newbie (I know) to understand what the rotary allows and doesn't allow.

Learning when to use rotary vs multi-sided flat approaches: To this newbie, it seemed obvious to mill complex 3D parts on a rotary. However, sometimes it makes more sense to do the work as a multi-sided flat job due to clearance or support issues.

I watched all the Vectric videos and any other videos I could find. I also learned from Gary Campbell and other helpful people on this forum. And I broke bits and ripped work pieces to shreds. Hmm.... that might point to a good bit of advice about learning -- start with cheap wood and cheap bits. Leave that rare chunk of Swahili Purple Unicorn Wood until you can consistently turn Home Depot 4x4s into something recognizable.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:39 AM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Mike...
Are you sure you should start on low cost materials?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rotary Clearance2.jpg (83.2 KB, 118 views)
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 02-20-2018, 11:45 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
Mike...
Are you sure you should start on low cost materials?
Yes, Gary, I'm quite certain starting with low-cost materials AND low-cost bits is a very wise course. I mean really, what idiot would do that to such an expensive bit? Some people.....
Old 02-20-2018, 03:15 PM
CAMaster Owner, (MOD, KOTR)

For me, if I was looking to use the rotary as a replacement for a real lathe,,,forget...The speed is a killer.
But, for me, to make the "out of the box " items,, it works...I find that for most people the lack of good design ideas is the real problem..

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chain-5a.jpg (90.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg bent-column-3.jpg (91.4 KB, 103 views)

3-D Modeling
https://carveddetails.com

mm@mezalick.com
Old 02-21-2018, 12:09 AM
CAMaster Owner

Interesting design!
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Life is too short and prone to quickly change to live otherwise.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:29 AM
CAMaster Cobra Owner (MOD, KOTR)

Here was a test piece I did a few years ago, very basic but looks good just used a standard 4x4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0211.jpg (89.8 KB, 91 views)
Digitize Touch Probe
Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
Hurricane vacuum
WinCNC + Aspire 9.5 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
www.customarchitecturalsignage.com
www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!