CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers

Old 06-26-2018, 07:20 PM
CAMhead Guest

Default Looking at a used Stinger I have questons

Looking at a used Stinger I SR23. It was purchased at the end of 2013 and has been used for an estimated 500 hours. Between 2013 and now what technological advancements have been make to the design and construction of the Stinger I series. It did not come with FTC, can that be added. This is a Porter Cable 2.5 hp router version, they are asking about 80% of the original price, what are your thoughts on the price?

Gary
Old 06-26-2018, 08:11 PM
CAMaster Owner

We hope you join the CAMaster family soon! Best luck on your negotiating.

My sincere advise, which is nothing more than my opinion, is to follow up with the CAMaster sales team while waiting for those that would know to reply here as well. Take the multiple inputs, put them together, and you should be on your way to an informed decision! I wish I could help but I can't. No experience with Stingers.
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Life is too short and prone to quickly change to live otherwise.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:32 PM
CAMaster Owner

We'd all be happy for you to join the yellow revolution!

I don't believe there were major changes since that machine was produced, but it may be using an earlier version of WinCNC and Win7 on the controller computer. The version of the Vectric software may or may not be current...it depends upon the current owner's actions. None of these things are really problems, however, and can be addressed if you choose to. AFAIK, you can add the FTC...it requires both physical installation and programming, so you'll need to speak with Camaster about that. In fact, you really should speak with them as Ron advises so they can give you exact details on any differences and what adding options entails. Once you buy the unit, they will register you as the new owner of the machine...you get technical support as an owner without additional cost.

Camaster machines do hold their value; hence, the reason for the asking price.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 06-26-2018, 09:43 PM
Stinger I Owner

Gary, the biggest difference that I’m aware of is the “Z” is now driven by a ball screw & nut. My 2013 Stinger 1 has rack & pinion drive, the one you’re looking at probably does too. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with R&P. Mine has never skipped a beat.
The FTC can be retrofitted, in fact there are even after market options available.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
KRS USB Keypad
Mick Martin Table
Aspire 8.5, WinCNC
Chips-a-flyin’
brucep128@gmail.com