CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger II

Old 07-18-2019, 02:24 PM
CAMhead Legend

Jim two different machines one has a 240 volt spindle and one has a 120 volt spindle just like the stinger I's with a 1k spindle
Old 07-18-2019, 07:47 PM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

In most cases 230VAC is used as a spec with a range. 230VAC +/- 10% or 207 to 253. People remember the number, and forget the range. Highly unlikely anyone actually has 230 volts unless its during a spike/drop
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 07-19-2019, 07:07 AM
Banned

BTW...

The fourth wire (green) in a 4 wire single phase setup is for the machine ground and nothing else. It has to be connected to a ground leg in the panel and cannot be tied to the neutral buss (or bonded to the neutral leg on the machine side). Machine grounding can also be done outside of the shop wiring/panel by running a wire from the machine frame to a ground rod driven into the soil. What this all accomplishes is (hopefully) provide a better path to ground than "you" (in your bare feet on a damp concrete floor for instance) in the event of an internal short that energizes the machinery frame (not that uncommon with electric dryers, household ranges, etc...)

The fourth wire doesn't have anything to do with providing the 120 volt power to the parts of the machine that don't run on 240 volts. That is done by simply using one of the hot legs and the neutral instead of both of them and the neutral.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:57 AM
CAMaster Owner

John... 4 wire 240v/120v circuit:

Black ---> Hot
Red ---> Hot
White ---> Neutral
Green/Copper ---> Ground

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 07-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
John... 4 wire 240v/120v circuit:

Black ---> Hot
Red ---> Hot
White ---> Neutral
Green/Copper ---> Ground
Except...as you know...on the machine side of your SCM/Minimax (and mine) which (being made in Italy) uses different color schemes entirely.

I have it wired, but am still in the process of setting up my new MM16. Biggest motor in my shop at 5 hp. After once owning a Fiat 124 spyder, I swore I would never own another thing built in Italy that involved wiring or electric motors, but here I am...
Old 07-19-2019, 08:33 PM
CAMaster Owner

Yes, the Euro colors are different but can be figured out from the diagrams on the machines or in the manuals. :) It's always something that makes life interesting! I was just illustrating the most common combination in the US for a four wire 240v/120v dual voltage circuit.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com