CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > materials and bits, collets, etc.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Camaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford View Post
I have the Amana 1.5". Not impressed with it. The horizontal inserts don't have a way for the chips to clear and they get clogged up and burn. The inserts don't have a positive seat either, so it's very hard to line them up evenly. It cuts about 1/3 of the spoilboard before leaving burn marks (I cut at 600ipm and 18000 rpm). I'd be interested to know how a larger 2+2 cuts.
I will be trying it out probably by next week. I will let you know on this posting
Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 AM
CAMhead Friend

Thank you All for the advise.
I ordered the Amana 2.5 spoilboard cutter but not the 2+2 along with a bunch of other bits to bet me started.
Thanks
Tim
Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Stinger Owner

Default Beware of the Magnate surfacing bit

Per a recommendation, I ordered the Magnate 2" surfacing bit from Amazon. I used it last weekend to surface my spoilboard but was disappointed in the cut it left. After viewing it closer, the cutting edge was not flat but concave in its shape (high in the center).

After talking to the support guy at Magnate, he indicated that he checked a few more after receiving my request for an exchange and found that they were all high in the center and suggested that he refund my purchase as opposed to trying to replace it.

If you are looking for a surfacing bit, this might not be the one want.....

Stinger SR23, Porter Cable 2.25 hp
Vacuum Table
Z-Plate / Laser
WinCNC
Aspire 8.5
Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Camaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford View Post
I have the Amana 1.5". Not impressed with it. The horizontal inserts don't have a way for the chips to clear and they get clogged up and burn. The inserts don't have a positive seat either, so it's very hard to line them up evenly. It cuts about 1/3 of the spoilboard before leaving burn marks (I cut at 600ipm and 18000 rpm). I'd be interested to know how a larger 2+2 cuts.
I tried out my 3 1/8" Amana 2+2 Spoil Board Cutter, and as Russel stated it started to Burn/Scorch the MDF leaving a shinny surface, not what you want. That being said I have the inserts that came with it which are the wrong ones. The one it came with are for plywood and chip board, they also make MDF, and also soft/hard wood inserts. I suspect that changing to the MDF inserts will solve this issue. After I order the proper set I will give more feed back.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Camaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKARD View Post
I tried out my 3 1/8" Amana 2+2 Spoil Board Cutter, and as Russel stated it started to Burn/Scorch the MDF leaving a shinny surface, not what you want. That being said I have the inserts that came with it which are the wrong ones. The one it came with are for plywood and chip board, they also make MDF, and also soft/hard wood inserts. I suspect that changing to the MDF inserts will solve this issue. After I order the proper set I will give more feed back.
I know this is digging up an old post, but I finally purchased the correct inserts for re-surfacing MDF, and didn't want to leave Amana Tools stuck in the dirt...better late than forever? If you follow these feeds and speeds (350-400 IPM @ 7,000-8,000 RPM) as instructed by tools today. I think my exact settings were 375 IPM @ 7,500 RPM. and the MDF came out smoother and cooler than the chap on the label of a Samuel Adams beer bottle (NO scorching or build up) I posted so Amana wasn't unfairly judged, and also in case someone else has the same cutter and needed the correct setting.

Last edited by RIKARD; 07-01-2014 at 11:29 PM.