CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > materials and bits, collets, etc.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:21 PM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
Can't think of any downsides,
It's brittle.
It expands and contracts a lot with changes in temperature.
Thickness is not that uniform from the factory.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints

Old 06-08-2016, 06:25 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

I personally would not call corian "brittle", thats wrong its not - It is not prone to break or shatter easily at all, quite the opposite is true. If it was, it would be absolutely useless in its primary function of counter tops. It is a lasting, resilient material and thats why people pay the big $$ for it. Can't speak for other solid surface brands, stands to reason that they are cheaper for a reason.
[And yes, I know that you can google up instances of guys breaking a corian knife scale when dropping it ect].
Like any other material, the thinner it is the more apt it will be to fail, and just about anything will fracture if used beyond its limits. Properly supported, a corian spoilboard should last close to forever.

Don't know about expansion, "alot" is not much to go by, do you have any factual basis/stats for this claim vs other materials ?

I have found corian over years of use to be very consistent thickness, that is the nature of their game. Again, some form of proof would be required for your contention to carry any weight.

Am not a corian fanboy by any means, and stand ready for correction if I am wrong.
Like you apparently are, I am going by my own experiences with it and really have never given much thought to its technical/structural qualities in any application outside of machining it.

Stinger 1
Old 06-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

I have used a cool 300 sheets so far this year and can tell anyone corian is similar to glass on on its own, it is not recommended for any structuaral use and will shatter like glass with incorrect use. it is to be fully supported with A SOLID .75 To 1 inch substrate

incorrect thickness absolutly but not as noticable in small pieces, some sheets can come out good but run it thru a large thickness sander and dips become obvious. for most all signage and hobbiest in small part it is negligable but do not drop it on a hard surface

it does expand and contract wanna have some fun put it in an oven not a microwave

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 06-08-2016, 06:59 PM
CAMaster Owner

Yes corian and other SS material is all that, but I can surface it flat. All matter changes shape with temperature. The question is how much over say a 40^ F seasonal change? Would Corian move more in Z with temp changes then MDF does with temp and humidity? I look at this like our political system-choose the lessor of 2 eveils
Aspire 9.014
and a couple of kegs of my Aspire Homebrew
sscooter@verizon.net
Old 06-08-2016, 07:14 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

I dunno, everything is relative really.

I could drop a 10x10" square of glass on my driveway and I'd bet my life it would shatter - Then I could drop a 10x10" square of corian on the same driveway and I'd bet this weeks paycheck it would bounce and survive just fine with maybe a couple of scratches. But if I slammed it down with force maybe it would fracture. We are talking about a pretty specific application here, using a properly supported chunk of corian as a spoilboard, not a backplate for a vice press. I have seen or heard nothing that would give me reservations about using it for a spoilboard.

The corian jig that I posted earlier, that pic was when I first made it, I have used it 100's of times and it has 100's of holes and has been machined into numerous times and places and is still going strong, not the mark of a "brittle" material if you ask me.

edit: Here is my corian semi spoilboard as it sits today after holding 100's of cuts ... Did a drop test with some .25 corian scrap on my driveway, survived 3 4 ft drops with barely a scratch - Didn't try the glass though ! [video I took was too large to mail, pretty easy to imagine it]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1487.JPG (34.4 KB, 41 views)

Stinger 1

Last edited by Xray; 06-08-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Cobra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscooter View Post
Would Corian move more in Z with temp changes then MDF does with temp and humidity? (
No way! My work is contains precision cuts on both sides. When it is flipped over, a discrepancy of a few thousandths can ruin the work. I had big problems when my vac fixtures were mounted on MDF (8 years). Now that they are mounted on the steel frame, those problem are gone (2 years).
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 06-08-2016, 11:47 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Anyways, tried the MAPP and it was a failure, this adhesive just will not let go once set, as designed.

Found out that once I remove the roundovers, I'll be lucky to even have a chunk 25x49" that would be needed for an entire board.

Stinger 1
Old 06-09-2016, 01:28 AM
CAMaster Owner

Doug with our Stinger1 we could get by with something around 25x37 or smaller but might have to drill and tap a few mounting holes. Better yet get some of that adhesive and build you one.
Aspire 9.014
and a couple of kegs of my Aspire Homebrew
sscooter@verizon.net
Old 06-09-2016, 01:44 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Yeah, I was thinking don't necessarily have to go the full 49" but the 25" wouldn't want to scrimp out on, don't think I'll have that once the cornering is off unless I can pry it off which seems next to impossible.

Oh well, maybe the next batch. Now that I have so much for so cheap I'll be able to do some things with it not possible before, I got corian to burn !

Stinger 1
Old 06-09-2016, 08:22 AM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
Would Corian move more in Z with temp changes then MDF does with temp and humidity?

I would expect MDF to be pretty stable in Arizona?

Here in Michigan, we can get some huge swings in humidity, and I don't see our spoilboards change much in thickness at all. When it gets dry, the corners will curl up a little, but I've never really had to worry about thickness issues of more than .002-.003".

If you want some really brittle solid surface, try the polyester Avonite's. Cracked a sheet in 3 pieces last week just picking it up.

Like Jim, we usually use a few hundred sheets/ year.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints