CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Router Bits

Old 06-18-2018, 08:42 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Undercut/ surfacing tool?

I build reptile racks and use a heat tape to heat the tubs. I'm using 1/2 inch expanded foam 4x8 sheets. We currently are using a surfacing tool to make a few passes to make a 4 inch wide recess ti keep the heat tape below the surface of the tub that slides in the shelf. I recently got to take a look at some diy racks and saw a feature that I would like to include in mine, but I'm not sure if one took is able to do what I need. I've attached a view of what on wanting to make. The tape would be able to be slotted into position and would not require adhesives to hold itself in place ... saving me a considerable amount of time in assembly and guaranteeing that the tape cant be pulled up inside the rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180618_120912.jpg (79.6 KB, 90 views)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:30 PM
CAMhead Legend

A woodruff seat cutter or mandrel mounted saw comes to mind for this. Depending on the bottom of the bit used, you may have to prop it up...also don't underestimate how quickly a hand router with bearing could put the slot in too... biscuit cutter/saw or even bit made for rubber T-cap molding on melamine etc.

Things to ponder...
Old 06-24-2018, 01:33 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Bits

I'll have to search through these to see what options work for us. I definitely dont mind building a jig to do this but obviously would prefer to find a way to do it on the machine as to keep a large production single station cutting but maybe we can figure this out. It's time for me 5o get a hand held router so I guess ill just have to play with options. If it takes 30 seconds a shelf it's still quicker than reaching in and messing with double sided tape. Is there a 4 inch "blade" that would work with this to make a single pass and that would not be too much for a hand held router
Old 06-24-2018, 02:07 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Don't waste your time looking for a "one shot" operation. The pocket is one operation, the undercut slit or slot is another.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"