CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger I (Table Top)

Old 03-14-2019, 12:50 PM
CAMaster Owner

Sounds like a good setup and Michael is da best.

Personally, I've eliminated any top-of-material design at this point in favor of top-of-spoilboard and just carefully measure material thickness, adjust the design and output the toolpaths accordingly.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 03-14-2019, 01:48 PM
CAMaster Owner

I don't want to accidentally ever drill holes in the spoilboard, so I set my lobound in WinCNC to be really small at .005. I use a slightly modified version of Gary's procedure when drilling holes in the spoil board.

In Aspire, for spoilboard alignment holes, I set the start cutting depth at Z (I generally always set zero to spoil board in Aspire), and cut a depth of .25". I always save the tool path as a single tool file. Something like SPOILBOARD_alignment_holes_ST.tap.

I chuck the required bit and measure the tool. I then do a Z0, which lowers the tool to the spoilboard. I type G49, then click the Zero Z button. I then run the file. Afterwards, it's important to remove the set zero so I type G92.1Z. Then either measure the tool again, or run a multi-tool file (no idea about ATC TCs). I sometimes just type G43 instead.

If I recall correctly, If I forget to remove the zero, I generally get a low bound error after a new tool is measured and cutting is attempted. I've not investigated why that is. Gary probably knows why...
Aspire
Old 03-14-2019, 01:51 PM
CAMaster Owner

Yes I agree. Michael is one of the best tech I have ever dealt with.

As far as zeroing from the spoilboard or material surface, it's nice to know that I have choices. Then I can decide which method is appropriate for the project.
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 9.5
Old 03-14-2019, 02:04 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVE2000 View Post
I don't want to accidentally ever drill holes in the spoilboard, so I set my lobound in WinCNC to be really small at .005. I use a slightly modified version of Gary's procedure when drilling holes in the spoil board.

In Aspire, for spoilboard alignment holes, I set the start cutting depth at Z (I generally always set zero to spoil board in Aspire), and cut a depth of .25". I always save the tool path as a single tool file. Something like SPOILBOARD_alignment_holes_ST.tap.

I chuck the required bit and measure the tool. I then do a Z0, which lowers the tool to the spoilboard. I type G49, then click the Zero Z button. I then run the file. Afterwards, it's important to remove the set zero so I type G92.1Z. Then either measure the tool again, or run a multi-tool file (no idea about ATC TCs). I sometimes just type G43 instead.

If I recall correctly, If I forget to remove the zero, I generally get a low bound error after a new tool is measured and cutting is attempted. I've not investigated why that is. Gary probably knows why...
I set mine to .75" which is the depth of the spoilboard. If I dig deep into the spoilboard then, well I guess, that's why its called a spoilboard.

It's nice to know how to change it. I started out my career in IT as a programmer and graduated up from there so making changes in a simple text file doesn't seem like rocket science to me. It's just knowing where and how to change it.

For this 2 sided project the X, Y, and Z settings had to remain the same for both sides so clearing the blue box does not work in this case.
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 9.5

Last edited by SteveNelson46; 03-14-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:16 PM
CAMaster Owner

It's more to not accidentally go through the spoilboard when doing manual moves. I have a touchpad and I've hit the wrong button before. I've also screwed up G-code commands. :p You name it, I've probably done it!
Aspire
Old 03-14-2019, 02:24 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVE2000 View Post
It's more to not accidentally go through the spoilboard when doing manual moves. I have a touchpad and I've hit the wrong button before. I've also screwed up G-code commands. :p You name it, I've probably done it!
I probably will too. It's how we learn. Or at least, it's how I learn. Especially by attempting things that is just beyond one's skill level. If we just stay in our comfort zone nothing is learned.
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 9.5