CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 10:08 PM
CAMhead Guest

Default Issue with Vcarve process! Suggestions?

I am going to try and be as thorough as possible here. We are having an issue specifically running a v-carve operation where the clearance tollpath is perfect, but when the v-bit tool path begins its plunge it does not stop at the scripted Z depth, keeps right on going into the spoil board.

Our set-up
Stinger III with X-3, primary spindle with two additional routers for those who might not be familiar.
VCarve-Pro
Post Processor: CAMaster X3 INCH

So, we just set the machine up last weekend, super excited. Neither my partner nor myself are strangers to layout and design, my partner is a machinist and well versed in code, machining, and mill work. I'm learning, honestly so far its fairly simple and straight forward.

We have successfully run profile and pocket cuts utilizing T1, the primary spindle. 1/4" endmill, dual flute, 15mm plywood. Perfect cuts, some tweaks to feed rate and what not, but other than that perfect runs.

We then started a Vcarve program. Used manual stops throughout. The EM in T1 cleared the bottom just fine. When T1 finished and T2, with the 90 degree 1/2" v-bit, fired up it moved to the correct X & Y and then ran down Z and kept going down. Hit abort and took a second to think.

Checked the sctipt. The T2 z should have started 0.800" above Z. First step brought the T2 Z to -0.12". Okay so that looked fine, thats where the run should have started.

Here is the code leading up to the ill fated plunge:
[VECTRIC CNC OUTPUT FOR CAMASTER X-3 ]
[MACHINES WITH WINCNC CONTROL ONLY]

[FILENAME: V-Carve for ref]
[09:01 PM, Thursday October 29 2020]

[MATERIAL size: 19.000" x 19.000" x 0.594"]
[Z Zero Position: Material Surface]

[TOOL LIST]
[2 = V-Bit (90.0 - 1/2")]

G90 [ABSOLUTE MODE]

M5 [SPINDLE OFF]
G53 Z0 [LIFT Z TO TOP]

T2 [ GET TOOL NUMBER 2 ]
[V-Bit (90.0 - 1/2")]

S16000 [ SET SPINDLE SPEED RPM ]

G53 Z0 [LIFT Z TO TOP]

F70 XY [SET FEEDRATE FOR X AND Y]
F15 Z [SET FEEDRATE FOR Z]

G0 X-2.006874 Y-2.386122
G0 Z0.800
G1 X-2.006874 Y-2.386122 Z-0.120000

We went back and checked all aspects. Zeroed X and Y. Manually zeroed Z. Measured all tools. Touched off to material top.

We remade tool paths from scratch. Stepped through the entire program again and the v-bit again buried itself in the spoil board. Okay...

We took a different approach. Decided to see if it was just in the vcarve post, something getting confused somehow. We ran a profile cut with the v-bit in T2. Ran perfectly. Tried a small pocket toolpath with the v-bit, also ran perfect. Great.

So we decided to step through a vcarve set-up on T1 to see if the issue would replicate. Again all new toolpaths generated. Again, clearance endmill ran fine. We did a tool change to the vbit, touched top, start manually stepping through and the v-bit again went past the scripted Z.

Any thoughts, ideas, or help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Chad
Old 10-30-2020, 08:30 AM
Camaster Owner

Can you post the actual VCarve file so we can see how the toolpaths are defined?