CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > CAMaster Cabinetmaking

Old 01-13-2018, 10:58 AM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

We are a high custom AWI QCP Millwork shop, the reputation speaks for itself for a long time now, for years we used 4 x 8 melamine for literally thousands of commercial cases,, two years ago we switched to 61 x 97 material and wast went from 20-25% to 10-15, We started printing more money with the 5 foot.

I Have all Gary specs and a 25 hp vac regen i have the big grizzley dust collectors and no pop up pins, I will from now on always get them but we work with it.

Wanna make money spend some, if you need wait til you can afford it the long term results will pay far better.

the fowled sides (computer, wire chain) are against walls with walking and dust collector clearances

My table is 15 side mounted tools (extra on a 5 foot machine but not necessary) we load from the non cnc end with a sissor lift, we off load on the open side to Bakers scaffolds modified with dividers for parts, we go straight to one of two edgebanders with parts then assembly.

in 2007 we were 3 guys with a single head we still did not use for case parts (lot of custom) in 08 we had a X3 (one of the first and a cobra) bought a 20 foot machine and it soon needed to go (too much floor space) in 2012 we got the machine we have now and it has printed money ever since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-DSC02706.jpg (91.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 4-IMG_4177.jpg (49.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 1-IMG_0071.jpg (93.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 2-DSC02350.jpg (77.4 KB, 53 views)

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 01-13-2018, 10:59 AM

Aspire camp is in April, come see machines and meet all these guys first hand

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
Old 01-13-2018, 01:34 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks for all the good info.
Let me tell you guys a little more about me and how I am. This may make me sound crazy to you but I am who I am. I have a good life that Iím thankful for.
I had a guy that worked for me for 16 years and just quit before Christmas due to health issues, I still have one part time guy. I decided that I wasnít going to hire back but slow down myself because I felt like I was just constantly working. Just way to many hours. So my thought process for the router has not been to up production, hire more people, become a large corporation, make money hand over fist, but to keep production like it is and let the router take some of the work load off of me. I have no doubt that the machine would pay for itself in just doing that, but I also know that it will open up other possibilities not only in cabinetry but other projects as well. Iíll admit that the initial cost that this is going to take is a bit intimidating but Iím willing to wait and save to make it possible to get what I want in the machine, I donít want to feel like Iím settling for what I can afford. This will give me time also to get hopefully at least a little foundation of how all the software works. Again, I appreciate all the good info, especially about the placement of the ATC and where you guys load and unload from. I guess different things work better for different people. Part of that might have something to do with shop layout and how you have the machine oriented. And Jim, I definitely want to come in April to the Aspire camp.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:39 PM

Get registered, two years ago i had to decline about 10+ as we can handle 100 comfortably, with 15 or so presentes and speakers,

I am shortening the refund period to two weeks , as some fly in from long distances and need the trust of the camp.

I will let others speak to its value

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
Old 01-13-2018, 02:57 PM
CAMaster Owner

You can see for yourself you've received some great advice already. From our 7 mos of experience, limited that it may be, I can assure you we have never been led astray by anyone here. I have had several on here give abundantly of their time on late phone calls as well. That stated I will say this. Like you, we bought a CAMaster to cut out labor, which it does admirably. Having experienced what I have these last 7 months, I will challenge you that you can not afford not to have an ATC, a vacuum table (we did not purchase and has been a HUGE MISTAKE FOR NUMEROUS REASONS), and a 10 tool holder. While caskets are our bread and butter, we are finding profitable miscellaneous work coming into our shop at a rapid clip because we do have one of the only wood capable CNC's around. While none of us can see the future, in our shop knowing what we know today, we would go with a 5 x 10 Cobra, 12-15 tool holder, very strong vacuum, and of course keep the ATC. The next advice I would give you is get hooked up with a dependable, reputable tool distributor that is also using these bits. I have found that to be priceless! If you would like a recommendation for one based on our experience, please pm me and I will pass along his info.
Lastly, I can say this publicly and truthfully. We simply, in regards to our CNC performance and its growing contribution to our business, would not be where we are today without the selfless contribution of so many on this forum and several of them on this thread. I simply can not emphasize that enough! CAMaster builds a great machine. Their tech support and the many contributors on this forum is what makes them successful imo. (sorry Cody and Grant! You are great guys!)
Best wishes, happy cutting, and I hope to meet you at McGrews!
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Life is too short and prone to quickly change to live otherwise.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Camaster Owner

We're a small cabinet shop. Had a 4x8 Stinger with an X3 and Hurricane vacuum table. Moved up to a 5x10 machine with rotary tool changer, popup pins and 2 9hp Becker vacuum pumps. The difference is night and day. X3 routers were an interesting idea but didn't have the same power or accuracy as the spindle and dust control was not good. With the bigger machine we've been able to take on a lot of jobs that were not possible or practical with the older machine.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:41 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgodding View Post
We're a small cabinet shop. Had a 4x8 Stinger with an X3 and Hurricane vacuum table. Moved up to a 5x10 machine with rotary tool changer, popup pins and 2 9hp Becker vacuum pumps. The difference is night and day. X3 routers were an interesting idea but didn't have the same power or accuracy as the spindle and dust control was not good. With the bigger machine we've been able to take on a lot of jobs that were not possible or practical with the older machine.

Steve, what did you upgrade to? I assume a panther since you say ROTARY tool changer, if I understand right the panthers are the only ones that come with the rotary changer?