CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger II

Old 09-06-2019, 02:37 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Gantry racking! HELP!

When I turned on the machine this morning and tried to relocate the gantry in the Y direction, the right side of the gantry traveled forward and the left traveled back! Seeing that machine rack is horrible! Then I turned it off and the gantry straightened out...at least some. I don't know if it is straight again or not. I turned off the machine and restarted the computer and it is still doing the same thing. I can see how wires could get messed up, but I didn't disconnect anything since the last time I used it...yesterday. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Allan
Old 09-06-2019, 03:16 PM
CAMaster Owner

Possible that one stepper is not moving? That could look like each side is moving in the opposite direction. A loose connection could cause one stepper to stop moving and that's a good first step -- look for a loose/bad connection.

My Stinger arrived from the factory with this failure and it was pretty scary looking for a cnc rookie. Found a wire connecting to one of the Y steppers was not pushed firmly into the plug/socket.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:19 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.davison View Post
Possible that one stepper is not moving? That could look like each side is moving in the opposite direction. A loose connection could cause one stepper to stop moving and that's a good first step -- look for a loose/bad connection.

My Stinger arrived from the factory with this failure and it was pretty scary looking for a cnc rookie. Found a wire connecting to one of the Y steppers was not pushed firmly into the plug/socket.
Thanks Mike...I will check that out...I did look for something obvious and couldn't find anything loose...will look closer...
Old 09-06-2019, 06:26 PM
CAMaster Owner

OK...l pushed the wires back into the left stepper motor and I think I heard a little click. I also unhooked both Y stepper motors and reconnected them. Then it worked ok. Is there a possibility that the wires in the stepper motor need to be checked? Is that something I can do since the wires come out of the housing and lead to a connector? I want to make sure that doesn't happen again...I will replace the motor if I need to. Having bought this machine used I am always wary of it's actual condition...and want to make everything tip top!

Thanks everyone...
Old 09-08-2019, 07:54 PM
CAMaster Owner

Maybe one of the CNC experts will speak to this question, but I think the connector was likely not firmly seated long ago and eventually vibrated out. If it is now firmly connected (you can't wiggle it loose) and the machine now operates correctly then all is probably good.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:55 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.davison View Post
Maybe one of the CNC experts will speak to this question, but I think the connector was likely not firmly seated long ago and eventually vibrated out. If it is now firmly connected (you can't wiggle it loose) and the machine now operates correctly then all is probably good.
Thanks so much for your help Mike. 👍😎
Old 09-10-2019, 12:38 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default strain relief

worked many years for a defense contractor, and a requirement we always had was to provide "strain relief" for cables. that is, a mechanical support for the weight of the cable, as well as any other forces applied to the cable - other than the connection itself.

most connectors are not designed to make good electrical connection as well as provide a robust enough mechanical hold for the rigors of physically busy machines, like a cnc.

you may consider finding an attachment point to add a cable tie as in the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2578.jpg (91.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2579.jpg (92.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 PM
CAMaster Owner

That's excellent advise, Tim

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com