CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2019, 11:35 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default V-Carve Pro 9.5

Hello out there!
I am new to the forum and I am impressed with the information available to the users. I have a Cobra Elite on order and should get it soon.
I am am a new user to V-Carve Pro and I am trying to figure out how do cut my stair stringers out the way that I displayed them on the PDF attached. The larger portion of the stock is going to be my dedicated spoil board at .72 thickness. The stringers that are in the middle of the 5'X10' sheet are 1 1/2" thick. I also have a offset shape inside the profile of the stringers that I want to cut a 1/4" wide groove 1/8" deep or so to be able to apply some closed cell foam in to be able to lay the 2X12 pieces onto to get good vacuum. Do I have to mill the sheet first at .72 thickness and then toolpath the 2X12 profiles? I am not sure how to do this. I would appreciate any input on this.
Thanks in advance!
Dennis Letendre
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dletend_Stair_Stringers_V-Carve_Pro.pdf (17.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 08-08-2019, 11:01 AM
CAMaster Owner

Pretty jealous of new Cobra acquisition. VcarvePro is a great CAD program that is very powerful and relatively simple to learn. Be sure to watch videos on Youtube while your machine is being built.
I'm quite sure I don't know exactly what you're trying to explain in your post, but I'll offer a couple of things:
You could always screw the ends of your boards down on the outside of the cut to hold them down.
Be mindful that you're going to have an internal radius on the inside corners. You can always square them up with a chisel afterwards. You'll have to use at least a 3/8" bit to be able to cut all the way thru, so your radius is going to be 3/16".
I don't think you need to do the groove for the foam unless it's going to be used in the application for the stringers. There are other ways to hold these down that's more efficient.
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 08-08-2019, 01:02 PM
CAMaster Owner

I would just screw the 2x material down to the spoilboard. Don't worry about the vacuum.

Use a dogbone in the corners.
You can download it as a vectric gadget.

I guess maybe in more detail. Space each 2x12 apart a bit. Get them straight with your Y axis. You can use the bit to do this with, just bump the board into it at each end and screw it down.

You could use the same file for each cut or have the boards in specific locations.

I think it's easier just have the project size be the size of the board and simply xy zero on the corner of the board no matter where it's at on the table.

Set your material zero on the machine surface/material bed in vectric. That way it really doesn't matter what your spoilboard/material is thickness wise. I'm assuming you will have an atc so your going to run this way most of the time.

If you get stuck and need the risers, don't hesitate to grab a skill saw and a square. Sometimes the cnc isn't the best tool on your shop.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik

Last edited by The real JP; 08-08-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:34 PM
CAMaster Owner

Smile VCarve Pro

Thank you both for your input on this. I am hoping to get my machine in place by the end of this month. Good advice from both your posts!
Thanks again I will try what you both said.

Dennis Letendre
5X10 Cobra Elite (Not here yet)
Drill Bank
Carry on tool ATC
15 hp FTZ pump