CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 01-15-2020, 03:31 PM
CAMhead Friend

We should make a distinction between “upgrading” meaning installing Windows 10 over the old Windows 7 on the machine, or “migrating/replacing” a Windows 7 machine with a Windows 10 machine (even if it’s the same hardware) via a clean install. My real job is in IT and never in 20+ years have I believed in-place OS upgrades are a good idea. If by upgrading you mean you’ll also replace the PC hardware, or that you plan to buy a new hard drive (upgrading from a conventional drive to a solid-state drive is life-changing and absolutely worth the work), then it’s not that big of a deal depending on how old your gear is.

Jim’s note above is correct - if you already have WinCNC 2.6, you can upgrade with no PCI card changes, daughter board changes, or software costs. You will have to download the latest version of WinCNC 2.6 from the WinCNC website. The install is pretty simple - after Windows 10 is installed, copy the WinCNC folder to the C: drive and then you can run the new WinCNC 2.6 version you downloaded which will update the relevant files. You then run the driver installer program to setup the PCI card drivers. The WinCNC site walks you through this.

If your WinCNC version is older than 2.6, you’ll need to spend some money on updated hardware and possibly software costs.

My Stinger hails from 2014 and I successfully updated it (clean install on new disk drive) from Windows 7 to Windows 10 via the above process. Once in a blue moon after Windows Updates I have to reinstall the Driverinstaller program, but other than that it is flawless. Windows 10 on the SSD I put in is SOOOO much faster than the original Windows 7 install on the conventional drive the PC came with.

One other note - if you’re considering new hardware, you may have trouble buying an off-the-shelf system that will work. You almost certainly have a PCI card which is rare on current motherboards, and you definitely have a full-height card, which means you need to get a fairly large case to have room for it. Many of the desktops that are around these days are too short for a full-size card.

WinCNC sells compatible computers for a reasonable price and you can still order new motherboards with PCI slots so this isn’t a big deal, but something to keep in mind.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:36 PM
CAMhead Legend

Do the folks from wincnc offer a new pc with windows 10 and all the bells and whistles needed as a plug and play solution?

stinger III x3

vcarve pro
Old 01-16-2020, 08:14 AM
CAMhead Friend

Yes:
http://wincnc.net/parts.php
Old 01-16-2020, 10:32 AM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Damn they have come a long way !

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 01-16-2020, 09:44 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian O View Post
Do the folks from wincnc offer a new pc with windows 10 and all the bells and whistles needed as a plug and play solution?
Yes, they do...pre-configured, even. It's more money than a "build your own" solution, but...pre-configured.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default WinCNC 3.0

Has anyone upgraded to wincnc 3.0? What are the differences and/or advantages? Please share. Thank you.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

I've done about a half dozen machines with WinCNC 3.0xx. A few bug fixes, a number of compatibility things enhanced with new/old computer/PCI card combinations.

Feature additions: Few, if any, you would notice. Depending on the age/number of your computer (32 vs 64), daughterboard (new vs old) and your current version, there may some upgrade costs (in the hundred$)

Old saying: If you don't have an issue that requires the upgrade, don't upgrade.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM
Stinger I Owner

I got back in the shop today. It turns out my WinCNC version is 2.5.01 so I think I'll pass on upgrading to Win10. Everything works great as is.
I did upgrade the Camaster PC to 8 gigs ram and a 500gig SSD a couple months ago so I'm golden there.

Thanks again for all the shared knowledge.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
KRS USB Keypad
Mick Martin Table
Aspire 10, WinCNC
Chips-a-flyin’
brucep128@gmail.com
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
Stinger II Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
I did upgrade the Camaster PC to 8 gigs ram and a 500gig SSD a couple months ago so I'm golden there.
Bruce,
Can you describe the how the changes improved performance? I've got similar hardware and thoughts of changing.
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Stinger I Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_L View Post
Bruce,
Can you describe the how the changes improved performance? I've got similar hardware and thoughts of changing.
It raised the performance several bars. If I wanted to edit something in Aspire while running WinCNC the system would slow down to a crawl. The biggest booster there was upgrading the ram to 8 gigs. It only had 2 from Camaster.
Total cost was less than $200.
If I had known that WinCNC sells complete upgraded PC's I would have seriously looked at them.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
KRS USB Keypad
Mick Martin Table
Aspire 10, WinCNC
Chips-a-flyin’
brucep128@gmail.com