CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger III

Old 11-02-2018, 11:23 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Clearance requirements

Trying to design a new decent floor plan for my shop and have a Stinger iii with the indexer. How much clear space should I leave around it on all 4 sides?

Thanks
Ron
Indexing Lathe
T-Slot Table

V-Carve Pro

Last edited by Options; 11-02-2018 at 11:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-03-2018, 01:33 AM
CAMaster Owner

I have 16" on my side against the wall.

4ft off the end with the gate valves, but I have shelves on that end as well so I need the room to pull out totes.

The control box and lathe side are open to the shop. Closest stationary thing is 8ft.

You need some room to load sheets on it and I loaded over the lathe. Then I took the lathe off. I just never used it.

If you use a dolly or table of some kind to lift sheets take that into account. Mdf and melamine is pretty heavy and awkward to handle.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 11-06-2018, 05:21 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

I have a 40 x 30 shop packed with machines and they are all on wheels so I can move them around when I need more room etc. My Stinger is also on wheels but I don't move it since I would have to disconnect the vacuum etc. I have a drum sander, planer and miter saw near it which I move when I need to and I use 20 foot 220V extension cords for power. I would have to have a shop at least twice my size to fix machines in one spot due to board lengths etc. Murphy says that if you fix position the machines you will one day have a problem. FWIW
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 11-06-2018, 06:15 PM
CAMaster Owner

Keith, when you get into some larger machines, mobility becomes something that you don't want to do much and it's a best practice to not have "wheels on the floor", even if the tool can be mobile. Stability becomes even more important. It's been reiterated a lot here in the Camheads forum that the bigger CNC machines really need to not be on casters when they are working because of the effect that gantry movement can have as it stops and starts in multiple axis. That's why I don't keep my casters on my Stinger II. I have them if I need them, but they are physically removed otherwise. (I also have to shim the front of the machine because my floor has a slight slope to it) I can move my slider (with a pallet jack rental), move my J/P and big bandsaw if I engage the mobility kit, move my Stubby lathe if I install the mobile base I ave for that purpose, but I hate doing any of that! My shop is 22 x 30 minus a stairwell...

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 11-06-2018, 11:30 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

Jim, all my machines are on casters that drop down to the floor for stability and up for movement. I would never operate any of my machines such that they could move when operating, I drop them to the floor when operating. My floor is concrete. Most of my machines have levelers so they can adjust for the differences in the concrete if needed for stability.

Given the size of my shop if I could not move my machine I could not handle 12 foot boards for jointing or planning. Normally they are kept against the wall but many time I have to pull them out away from the wall or adjust forwards or backwards to use the machine. My 52 inch SawStop table saw is mobile when needed so I can cut large sheets.

I agree with you I would be foolish to have all the machines on casters such that they move when working. I also think it is foolish in a small shop to not be able to move machines or be limited by power cord length.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 AM
CAMaster Owner

I agree with you Keith ... maintaining mobility while also "answering the mail" for stability is a good thing.

Not to stray further from the subject at hand, but I'm very curious about what you make that would require jointing and thickenessing 12' long boards? I'll skim something longer to ascertain grain and color, but I break things down before I actually process the lumber. Again...just curious.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us