CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 05-04-2019, 04:44 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default The "Brady Vacuum Film" test...

Just wanted to give a shout out to Brady on his "vacuum film" technique and let other folks know how well it worked for me. I had a project today where I needed to hold some small letters in 1/2" PVC and remembered reading about his method for holding small parts. It was a 24"x48" piece and I didn't want to take the time to strip it with painter's tape so I found some 24" wide vinyl mask I had laying around and decided to try it. I put the vinyl on a 24X48 piece of scrap MDF and put some on the 24X48 piece of PVC. Then I took some sandpaper and gave it a little "tooth" before spraying each side with 3M contact adhesive. I smashed them together, burnished it a bit, positioned the boards on the CNC, turned on the vacuum table and went to cutting. All cut perfectly with no tabs and they all peeled off nicely, some you had to use a little elbow grease to get up so it almost worked too well if that's such a thing.
Folks without a vacuum table can use this also as the actual vacuum has nothing to do with holding the parts in place. Just screw your material and temporary spoilboard to your table and get after it. Thanks again Brady.
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 05-06-2019, 08:02 AM
CAMhead Legend

Wes,
Glad you found the technique useful. This was one of those things born out of necessity. Interestingly enough, it proved to be an invaluable technique (whatever year I came up with it) because I had a lot of work coming in that involved thousands of parts that were very small.

One job was 50,000 letters for the department stores and another was a bunch of carbon fiber parts for an automotive aftermarket company that still orders from me to this day.

When you get out of your own way...don't take no for an answer and 'just do it' - it's pretty amazing what you can come up with doing your own R&D. Just playing around with different ideas and using your power of observation, pays dividends...