CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > CAMaster Routed Signmaking

Old 04-21-2019, 07:46 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default The evolution of design & finishing

I have a unique & unusual situation I think I should share. This isn't just about signs .... it could be anything you choose to make.

So, I get a lot of compliments on my work. I appreciate them, but they're not the reason I post photos .....I like inspiring others to always strive to do better. What does kind of bug me is " your so talented" &" I could never make something like that" comments. While you may not have the eye for design I have, we all have our unique skill-sets. The truth is, what you see of my work can be credited more to hard work & the constant drive to do better, than to talent.

The last sign I posted is basically a repeat of one I made for the same couple 21 years ago. There's a full moon, some hills & a pine tree. The big difference .... there's a body of water in the foreground. Can you see how the style & the execution have evolved?

This didn't just happen overnight..........it's the result of never being completely satisfied with what you've made. It's the result of looking at what others, competitors or otherwise, are doing, & thinking "how can I do better the next time?" It's a the result of learning "I can't be all things to all people".

I told my customer that I could make him a new sign cheaper than I could restore the old one. That was a bit of a lie ...... I could have restored it, but didn't care to...... this sign was given in appreciation of a really big favour way back when, & I just saw the opportunity to show off my '"evolution". Chalk it up as cheap "advertising", which it really is, when you consider the unsolicited testimonials I'll get from them every time someone new sees it.

Now you know why I do classes ....... it's sure as hell not for the $$$. Many who have taken my class never do anything with what they've learned. I understand ..... it's not what you thought it would be. You're not alone .... Dan Sawatzky, whom I've known for years, told me that less than a third of his students ever do anything with their newfound knowledge .......... I'm guessing my ratio is similar

I hope this sheds some clarity. The " I could NEVER do that" & "that looks easy... I'll do that" are rarely true. That's the beauty of this forum ..... in my almost 10 years on here, I've seen no more than a handful of "intentionally unhelpful" posts. If you need inspiration, this is a good place to start. If you have a "stupid" idea ....share it. It might be pure genius. You might be surprised how often that happens ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R&AParksCompare.jpg (94.0 KB, 113 views)
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 04-21-2019, 08:43 PM
CAMaster Owner

If I felt the need I would not hesitate to take one of your classes. I don't know you but, judging by your posts, you are a true educator and inspiration to us all.
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 9.5
Old 04-22-2019, 09:17 AM
CAMaster Cobra Owner

Thank you professor TR!
Popiel Folding Fishing Rod
Old 04-22-2019, 09:40 AM
CAMaster Owner

Truer words never spoken, TR.

The evolution you mention between the signs is pretty striking...time, hard work and experience have clearly elevated your work and yes, it really is an inspiration to those of us "out here" who are blessed to know you. I know what I've learned from you will definitely help my own work be a little better than it would have prior to both your training class and other interactions. Thank you for sharing!

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 04-22-2019, 12:22 PM
CAMaster Owner

I think a lot of the " I could never do that " comes from the fact that I have no concept of how you do that.

The painting alone seems like you would have to be crazily skilled.If you have seen me try to cut in with a brush, you would understand:)

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 04-22-2019, 02:16 PM
CAMaster owner

I can tell you that if it wasn't for Rodger and this group of great people on the forum I would have probably given up in frustration. I truly love the people on this forum.

2016 Stinger II SR-44
3.0 kW Spindle
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.xx

www.cool-signs.com
Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The real JP View Post
I think a lot of the " I could never do that " comes from the fact that I have no concept of how you do that.

The painting alone seems like you would have to be crazily skilled.If you have seen me try to cut in with a brush, you would understand:)

JP ..... part of the secret is in using the correct tools.... in this case, brushes. There is a brush for everything. You wouldn't use a 2-man crosscut saw to trim out a new home, nor would you use a coping saw to fell a dead elm.
Part of the "learning from experience" is learning the correct tool for each task.
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 05-15-2019, 10:41 AM
CAMaster Owner

Those look like such happy trees in your second photo, reminds me of Bob Ross.
Every time I try to paint a tree like that it looks like it was struck by lightening 30 years ago and birds have been pooping on it since.
Thanks for sharing and being an inspiration TR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob-Ross-3.jpg (30.5 KB, 27 views)
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 05-15-2019, 10:49 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
Those look like such happy trees in your second photo, reminds me of Bob Ross.
Every time I try to paint a tree like that it looks like it was struck by lightening 30 years ago and birds have been pooping on it since.
ROFLOL! I can actually hear that voice saying, "Happy little trees..."

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 05-15-2019, 11:00 AM
CAMaster Owner

Guitar Wes......you need to take advantage of all that talent. Cormorants nesting on islands tend to kill EVERYTHING there with crap. You might be able to sell paintings of your trees & just blame the lack of needles on the cormorants You don't need to even buy a lot of colours of paint..... just black, & the colour you want the sky & water.
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3