CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > New Forum Members

Old 10-24-2018, 06:59 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks.

The Origin was really my CNC gateway drug, because I really resisted ever getting a CNC machine before. I have a ton of power tools, so I'm far from a neanderthal. But I wanted to actually DO stuff by hand. And when I found out about Shaper Origin last year - was looking for a way to inlay letters - I figured a digital template was fine as it just saves a lot of time from creating an actual template. Digital template storage also takes less room. :p But working with the Origin is kind of slow. It's a router, and the most its auto mode will do is 35 ipm. You end up having to do many passes, and then typically do a .01" cleanup pass at depth. The bit has more chatter than I'd like, and I honestly am not 100% happy with the accuracy. Sometimes it's pretty accurate, and other times it's been off 1/16" over about 18 inches. This bad accuracy doesn't seem to be typical on the Shaper forums though. And the company is releasing new software versions every few months that fix things a lot. (I haven't cut anything with the latest version of the software.)

However, even with the issues and being slow, I LOVED using it, and it really opened up what I'd been able to do. I built a vertical jig, and even created box joints. Here's a project I did: https://community.shapertools.com/t/...fancy-box/1854

So I gradually came around to getting a standing machine. And it's amazing how much faster it is. And WAY less fatiguing. :) And accurate. I've really answered your question the long way around (sorry, I'm kind of passionate about woodworking - it's definitely a hobby, and not a business for me too) but I expect I will be using the Shaper less. I do expect to be using it on projects though, because it might be easier for vertical work. I could also be using it while my Stinger is busy cutting some other stuff. And if I have really big projects that won't fit on the table, as long as they're 2D, they can be as big as I want. There's a really cool video on the Shaper site about a musical note/musical scale inlay being performed on the floor of a room. Can't do that with a regular CNC. As you pretty much said above...

Short answer: I won't sell it, but I expect to be using it a lot less.

BTW, they opened up ordering again yesterday on their site. The first lot of us were pretty much beta testers. I figured that out really quickly, but I didn't mind as it is a cool tool to use. And the community there has been pretty friendly and active. They also opened up their hub for user projects, and people have been adding a ton of projects. https://www.shapertools.com/hub
Aspire
Old 11-26-2018, 11:27 AM
CAMaster Owner

Just wanted to add that I placed a scrap piece of 2.5" PVC pipe at the exhaust while the vacuum was running. Air was not limited to going just through that pap. It's about a foot in length. That pipe is no longer round...

CPVC is another possible non-metallic option. Otherwise, any exhaust will have to be metal. I spoke to Paul at Black Box Vac about it and he confirmed this. Apparently it's quite safe to screw into the metal at the exhaust. I'll come up with something when I have some time. A small HVAC register may fit the bill.
Aspire

Last edited by DVE2000; 11-26-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:11 PM
CAMaster Owner

I finally unscrewed the base of the crate, cut everything up, loaded the car, and took everything to the dump. It took the entire morning plus an hour or two to do this.

One very collapsed CNC crate. Minus 4 2x4ís:
26059800-E8EF-4202-8EB9-CD93EEA49E4D.jpg
Aspire
Old 12-27-2018, 06:17 PM
CAMaster Owner

My "Crate" is all stored in the upstairs of my shop...I'll be using the materials. The 4x4s were already used for some honeybee hive stands.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 12-27-2018, 08:17 PM
CAMaster friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVE2000 View Post
How in the heck do you park your car on that wall???
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 12-27-2018, 10:37 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
Im guessing he tweaked the Park macro button on his Wincnc screen...just a guess though
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 12-28-2018, 12:02 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
Very carefully!
Aspire