CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > How To Use This Forum > FAQ Frequently Asked Questions

Old 12-22-2020, 04:52 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

The connection method is what WinCNC has been using for a long time and the current generation is only 2-3 years since introduction, both hardware and software. WinCNC is more of an industrial controller system than what many of the more hobby oriented machines use. It's not made by Camaster and is used in the industry relatively widely. I believe the developer intends to eventually move to Ethernet for a future generation, but don't believe they will do that until they can provide the same or higher level of performance and reliability that the current WinCNC controller brings to the table. The method used right now has matched hardware in the controller box and the Windows based PC control computer connected by a very high speed cable. And yes, you do need to check that cable once in awhile...normal maintenance for any kind of computing hardware.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 12-22-2020, 07:44 PM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks Jim.

Per http://www.wincnc.net/ it appears this program will run on the latest Window 10 (existing machine is presently on the un-supported Windows 7), and they have provided two product updates in 2020.

I still hope future development will eliminate the dependency on the proprietary hardware. I hope you are correct, that Ethernet might be a future addition.

Jack
Old 12-22-2020, 07:49 PM
CAMhead Friend

What do you think? Is this controller able to support the fourth "A" axis? Please see the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAMaster.Controller.jpg (75.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-22-2020, 08:17 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavis3rd View Post
I still hope future development will eliminate the dependency on the proprietary hardware. I hope you are correct, that Ethernet might be a future addition.
While I also hope for this future development, I wouldn't necessarily count on any ability to retrofit existing machines if and when that occurs. This would be a major change in architecture and it would likely be "all new" hardware. 'Just keeping it real here...

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 12-22-2020, 08:17 PM
Cobra Owner

I prefer that WinCNC never goes to USB connection. That's what all the cheapest control systems use - its slower and always seems to have problems. The fastest control systems out there are even going to fibre optic cables now.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 12-22-2020, 08:22 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Russell, I don't expect that they will go USB...which would have to be USB-C and even Thunderbird-4 over USB-C to maintain extremely high speed. Ethernet makes more sense simply because it removes the need for a "direct" computer to controller connection...it can be LAN connected. USB is only device to device like with the present setup. The other big benefit to Ethernet (although it certainly would apply to USB-C/TB-4, is the ability to use small "brick" type fanless computers, including embedding them if desired.

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
Old 12-23-2020, 06:06 PM
CAMhead Friend

To complete this discussion, CAMaster has confirmed the electronics already support the lathe and has provided a quote of $1200 for the lathe hardware.

The ball is back in my court. While this is a great machine the price is too high for me.

Thanks for everyone's help. I hope to be back someday.

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAMaster.Controller.Forum.jpg (97.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-23-2020, 06:19 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Jack, that's the normal cost for the Stinger I recoil for a recoil ready machine. Do keep in mind that this implementation is heaver than many small machines have for 4th axis...more industrial.

Best wishes to you.

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA