CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 02:13 PM
CAMhead Legend

Default Oneida dust collecting system opinions

I have been running a harbor freight dust collector and Oneida cyclone for a awhile now and it just doesn't seem to do the job anymore. I have been looking at upgrading to the 5hp Oneida system and was seeing if anyone had one. I might be getting an additional machine soon so I would use this for both of them. Seeing if anyone had luck with them or not. I know baileigh isn't the best brand but they have one also OR if anyone has any recommendations. 95% of what I cut is production plastic like HDPE, UHMW, polycarb with an occasional wood job. Sadly this shop is only single phase so that is the power I need to use.

Thanks,
Old 06-22-2018, 03:12 PM
Stinger II Owner

Maybe you have searched for Oneida and found some reading material. If not, here is one to start with that was recent.

http://camheads.org/showthread.php?t=6953

I think my 3hp Oneida is fantastic. Although, I'm not doing much plastics. It really changed the dust cleanliness in the shop when I installed it, versus a little bag machine.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:29 PM
CAMaster Owner

I've been an Oneida customer and fan since 2000 and dust collection is "what they do". USA made and very high quality. Talk to them about what you want to accomplish, including what machines over your CNC so they can recommend the best solution that meets the air flow needs of your shop.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 06-22-2018, 06:15 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHEPEBC View Post
Seeing if anyone had luck with them or not. I know baileigh isn't the best brand but they have one also OR if anyone has any recommendations.
Thanks,
Reach out to Bruce Tait Jim. I had a rather lengthy discussion with him recently about his Oneida and left the conversation feeling much better informed. Like you, we have been limping along on HF and before the end of next month, I intend (we all know how that works out sometimes) on putting an end to the limping with a larger upgrade myself.
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Life is too short and prone to quickly change to live otherwise.

Last edited by Rlee1972; 06-22-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: omission
Old 06-23-2018, 09:20 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Dust collection

Like you, I needed a dust collection system and wanted the best around. My situation is I the final install will be in an air conditioned shop and I did not want to dump all the conditioned air outside with just a fan. I did plenty of research and purchased the Oneida Industrial 5 hp 55 gallon system.
I am in the final stages of getting my machine in operation and yesterday I assembled my new dust collector.
It is a three man job minimum and a chain hoist if you have one.
The system looks great but it is not wired yet. I will provide updates as I complete the next few steps.

Doug S
Old 06-23-2018, 10:19 AM
CAMhead Friend

I have the Oneida 5HP Pro Hi Vac in my main shop which is designed for CNC machines, and a 2HP V-System in my smaller shop. While the dust collector itself is of great importance, the design and sizing of your ducting can make or break the overall performance of your system. Contact Lisa Barone at Oneida, she will do you a fantastic job and definitely guide you in the right direction based on your needs. Let Oneida design the ducting and you won't come away disappointed. The design service is free if you purchase a system from them. I have done it twice and would definitely do it again if I had to.
HSD 5HP ATC
8 Tool Rotary Carousel
Hurricane Black Box Vacuum
Mozaik
Vcarve Pro
Old 06-23-2018, 11:44 AM
CAMaster Owner

+1 for Bruce's comments on having Oneida do the total design. A powerful dust collector with poorly designed ductwork will surely disappoint you. Oneida will design a setup for your particular needs. I can highly recommend their products and design help.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 06-25-2018, 10:29 AM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce tait View Post
I have the Oneida 5HP Pro Hi Vac in my main shop which is designed for CNC machines, and a 2HP V-System in my smaller shop. While the dust collector itself is of great importance, the design and sizing of your ducting can make or break the overall performance of your system. Contact Lisa Barone at Oneida, she will do you a fantastic job and definitely guide you in the right direction based on your needs. Let Oneida design the ducting and you won't come away disappointed. The design service is free if you purchase a system from them. I have done it twice and would definitely do it again if I had to.
I actually talked to Lisa and decided to spring and just buy the 5hp high vacuum collecting system. Hopefully will ship this week. I still need to figure out my piping and how I am going to do that. I wish there was someplace local I could get the stuff but she said to stay clear of HVAC pipe. Has anyone every used sch 40 PVC? I know it might be overkill but if I forget a fitting or need something I would rather go right down the road to a store than pay for shipping and waiting.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:39 AM
CAMhead Legend

Just to inform anyone else who would be in my situation.....
I have a 5x10 panther with a vac bed. Sadly, that building is single phase so I have to run the hurricane pumps to vac hold down. As the system works well on most, I always seem to get production work with small parts. I know i could tab them in but then I would have to clean up 105,000 parts which would add time and I don't think my customer wants to pay for that. So as I was talking to Lisa, the two systems were on the shelf were a gorilla and the the 5 hp high vac set up. We went with the 5hp high vac set up because if i find it is sucking the small parts into my system, I can choke it with a blast door to prevent that from happening. The gorilla has a VFD drive so if I try to do the same thing, it would think it was a smaller orifice and would speed up. Also, I plan on buying another table soon and the 5hp high vac is better suited for two tables than the gorilla. I am going to run 8" pipe out of the collector and choke it down to the 4 as I go. I may make a new adapter on the machine so it can handle a 6" flex hose but haven't gotten that far yet.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:16 PM
CAMaster Owner

I totally get the "suck the parts up" thing...experienced that yesterday when a couple of tabs were too brittle when I used a profile path to cut out a 3.5" circle opening rather than a pocketing path. My 2HP Pro (predecessor to the original Gorilla series) had no problem grabbing those 2.5" round circles of 3/4" thick material and sending them along their way to the bin under the cyclone. Fortunately, those were scraps. It would be totally no fun for someone to lose "real" parts that way! But that's the conundrum. Excellent dust collection is important for many reasons including our health and that means the most airflow you can provide for best results. (moving air is what does the deed, not "suction") But at the same time, something that's not held down strong enough is going to go flying... ;)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us